Chapter 23~Annie

You know it's love when all you want is that other person to be happy, even if you're not part of their happiness

--Julia Roberts

~~~

As soon as I come out of my room the next morning, I spot Finnick sitting at the dining room table with Dad and Luke. He turns around and smiles at me with a mouthful of eggs.

"Good morning," he greets in a mumbled tone.

"Morning." I pull a chair next to him as I grab a plate. "What are you doing here so early?"

Finnick holds up a finger as he quickly chews his food. He finally swallows and takes a deep breath before exhaling loudly. "So I have this idea. What do you think of going to our little oasis for the day?"

My hand holding a piece of toast stops midair and slowly falls to the table. To our oasis? That means we'll have to swim and pretty far too. I haven't gone in the water or remotely close to it since that night I drowned.

"Only if you want to," Finnick clarifies quickly when he sees my hesitation.

I shake my head. "No, I want to go," I assure him. I really do. I think it's time I go back. Plus Finnick and I need a day to ourselves.

"You sure?" Finnick asks. He's looking at me carefully.

I reach out and grab his hand in mine. "I trust you."

Finnick smiles and turns to look at my dad who was watching the scene curiously. "Mr. Cresta can I take Annie out for the day?"

Dad nods with a smile that causes wrinkles to form in the corner of his eyes. "She's all yours."

Finnick and I prepare a couple of stuff for the day and then we're off. As we're walking to the beach I notice that Finnick is quieter than usual. I look at him from the corner of my eye. He's just staring ahead with his mouth pressed in a hard line. Finnick tends to get this way every time he comes back from the Capitol. I don't ask what happens and he doesn't tell me. We just stay together. But this time there seems to be something different in his expression.

"Is everything okay?" I ask. I place my hand gently on his arm.

Finnick blinks a couple of times. He looks down with a small smile. "Yeah," he answers. He takes my hand in his as we continue to walk.

We finally arrive at the beach and I begin to involuntarily slow down. I stare at the waves ebbing back and forth against the shore. I shut my eyes tightly as I force myself to breathe.

"We don't have to do this if you don't want to," Finnick reminds me gently.

"I'm fine," I assure him. I take tentative steps forward until I'm inches away from the water.

Finnick places his hand under my chin and angles it towards him. "I'll be with you the entire time," he says. Then he leans down. He touches his lips to mine and flashes me a boyish smirk. "Kiss for luck."

I laugh and shove him playfully off of me but Finnick grabs my hands so that I end up falling into his chest. "Can't help but fall for me huh?" Finnick asks with his eyebrows quirked.

"You're so corny!" I exclaim but I can't help but laugh.

"But you love me," Finnick says confidently.

I roll my eyes. "But I do," I sigh. Finnick scowls and I just flash him an innocent smile.

"Well let us go my princess," Finnick says with a little bow. "Our oasis awaits us."