She's Mine: Chapter 13

Chapter 13

"You sleep tight, Eliza. Don't shed any more tears about it. You won't be able to sleep thinking about any of what happened, okay?" Emmy tried to coax Eliza over the line.

There was no avoiding the need to speak to someone. As much as she wanted to pick up the phone to answer Troy, she couldn't.

Later that night, Eliza was feeding. The anxiousness from Andrew's sudden appearance was going to keep her up regardless of how tired she was. Looking down at the small face, she was almost afraid to do it. There was a chance that she could see a resemblance of him, and she couldn't deny that she did. She couldn't pinpoint what it was, but she could see Andrew in the baby in her arms.

She never had any doubt that she would never want to see Andrew until he showed up to her door. Eliza was torn. Wondering if he really wanted to be a part of their baby's life wouldn't stop coursing through her mind.

Emmy never disputed Eliza's questions, but the caretaker made sure to redirect Eliza's focus on the only person that should have mattered to her. Then it hit Eliza as she watched her baby doze off in her arms. She kept her; she didn't give her up.

Leaving the nursery, she brought her daughter into her bedroom for the first time. Placing her down in the middle of the bed, she watched as the child showed that she preferred to sleep on her side. Lying down beside the small person, Eliza gently raked her fingers over the loose, soft curls on her child's head.

Wiping a reckless tear, she took time looking over the helpless person beside her. Eliza couldn't understand why she felt so emotionally unstable. Was she crying from the regret of not letting Andrew in? Was she making all of the wrong decisions? Being a mother was far-fetched for so long in her world, but now she was. Whether or not her daughter was beside her or in the arms of someone else, she would still be someone's mother.

Eliza and Peter were given up when they were little. She was told that she was three years old, while her little brother was one. She didn't know anything about their parents, but she began to understand her own identity after realizing that she was going to be the only person that her baby brother had.

As they grew older, Peter was quick to fester his anger for being a foster child. Eliza, being as quiet as she always was, let him speak his mind– always calming him down. However, that only lasted until they were in their later years of high school. The families that they were cycled through, after the years, only made her brother grow more incensed. Peter would fight back more often, and because of that they would be sent back to the center within months. Regardless of how her brother disrupted what could have been a steady path for them, she always showed him support.

Strangely, affection wasn't in her nature, but there was nothing for her to question when her brother would need someone to hold him. As much as she was hurting about their not knowing their parents, she kept it together for the sake of Peter.

Eliza had learned to hold it together in times of trouble for someone she loved. He was her blood and that would never change. They experienced the worst of situations but were never torn apart. They could have been, but they never were.

Looking down at her baby reinforced what had been in the back of her mind since her last month of pregnancy. The question circulated a thousand times in her head.

Do I want to really do this?

Closing her eyes, she took in a deep breath. She never wanted to admit it to herself, but there was no denying that she wanted to keep her after locking onto eyes that looked exactly like her own the first time they opened.