She's Mine: Epilogue

Epilogue

"... Happy birthday, dear Lulu... happy birthday to you!" everyone sang.

The one year old was surprised by their cheer, but she was even more enamoured by the large cupcake with one lit candle placed on the tray of her high chair. She looked to her mother who was laughing before asking if she was ready to make a wish.

Along with everyone else, Lulu clapped her hands as best as she could before Eliza helped her blow out the flame. An applause erupted by her family– Emmy, Troy, Helen and Charlie, Pete, Loretta and the kids.

Icing was everywhere as they let the birthday girl indulge in her decadent treat. The tall, familiar photographer was shooting away, and like usual, he caught several pictures of her mother too.

He took his last shot after Eliza caught him spying. But there was no need for Troy to be shy because she needed needed his attention. Eliza signaled for him to come near, but kept moving towards her room.

"Liza... now?" he smirked.

She laughed and shook her head, "No... at least not yet."

Pleased with that news, he wiggled his brows and was going to reach out to her. Eliza playfully backed away and shook her head.

"Why else did you bring me in here then, darlin'?" he teased.

Eliza held up one finger for him to wait as she disappeared into her closet. She took her time strolling out, hands behind her back.

"Whatcha got there, Liza?" he grinned. "You got that toy for her, didn't ya!"

"No, no. It's more of something more for her and me." she grinned.

Troy whined, "C'mon now. Whatcha got?"

Eliza brought her hands forward and nervously looked down at the box in her hand.

"My God..." Troy gasped.

His eyes switched quickly back and forth between the small box and Eliza's anticipating eyes.

"Troy, my entire life has been far from conventional, and I never thought I'd feel like I could really have more than Peter, Loretta, and their children. But then the last two years of my life have been incredible, no matter how much I cried at the beginning. Lulu became one of the greatest blessings I could have ever imagined, and there is just no way I couldn't have realized that without help. You and Emmy have done so much more than I ever believed people would want to do for another. And after time, it didn't take long to realize what roles you two were meant to play into invigorating a life that had turned so dull and dreary. Emmy truly feels like a mother to me... and you..." she blinked a few times to hold back her tears as she opened the box to reveal a silver band.

Troy took a step closer to her and held her open hand with his, staring at the ring with surprise.

"...I can't see a life without you. I don't think Lulu or I can imagine not having such an incredible human being with us every day. You treated my daughter like she's always been yours, and I hope that you would want to be mine forever. Troy... will you marry me? Will you be mine?"

His eyes were still open in amazement, "That question almost sounds cruel, Liza."

She began to panic, "I know we had talked about waiting for a while, maybe another year but I just couldn't–"

He shook his head with annoyance, "I only said that shit because I didn't want to scare you. I wanted to get down on one knee ages ago. Of course, I want to marry you, Eliza!"

Troy hooked his arm around her neck and pressed their lips together. Lulu got to celebrate her first year along with the gift of an additional parent. She hadn't fully grasped that Troy was anything less than a father, and calling him "dada" was no longer a happy accident for Eliza's fianceé.