She's Mine: Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Around 6AM, Eliza found herself ready to head out of the door. However, she wasn't ready to leave just yet. Emmy slowly exited the kitchen with furrowed brows and noticed the door to the nursery was opened. 

"Ms. Kelly," she whispered, and Eliza immediately stepped away from the crib and held an uneasy look on her face. 

Emmy lifted her brows, "Everything all right?" 

Eliza nodded, and quickly picked her purse from the La-Z-Boy, but she was stopped when Emmy used her low voice to say, "No, no. You have a few more minutes before you normally head out of the door. Finish your goodbye to her." 

Eliza watched Emmy silently chuckle before shooing herself from the nursery. The mom put down the purse again and looked to the little baby that was fast asleep on her side. She couldn't help but remember something strange that happened just a few hours ago when she was feeding her. 

She didn't think it would happen, but she was growing accustomed to being watched by big bright eyes. However, she didn't expect a tiny hand to willingly wrap around her forefinger. Eliza only wanted to clasp the last button to her onesie, but the little observer reached out for her instead. 

That private moment gave her a strange feeling, and she was still a little curious. Watching small fingers slowly blossom again, Eliza hurriedly reached over to the nursing station and cleaned her hands with a wipe. She peeked back into the crib and carefully placed her forefinger by the small hand. In a flash, Eliza's lips parted when she felt a little grip again.

The morning consisted of several meetings. She could have said she was exhausted, but considering her unruly sleep schedule, her business work was nothing compared to demands at home.

She landed back at her desk past noon, and she was starving. However, she had to make sure there were no emergency tasks to tend to. So, she swiftly opened her email and began to scroll through. 

Right around 11:45AM she noticed the message from Mr. Daniels. She sighed before opening the email and reading that he had hoped that she was doing better than she was yesterday. 

"I'm doing well, Mr. Daniels. Thank you."

She responded right away this time before exiting her mail and reaching for the landline. After she had dialed for Vanessa, she heard a small chime within seconds and looked back to her screen. 

Eliza opened the email and read Troy's quick response, "Good." 

Swiftly, she hung up the phone and grabbed her purse. Hurrying to the elevator, she felt the urge to go travel for her own late lunch. Feeling relief wash over her as soon as she exited the tall building, she entered into a slow stroll while wondering what to eat. 

Eliza glanced across the street at the numerous restaurants that were all great options; however, she found a storefront that she was instantly drawn to, and it wasn't a restaurant. She was in a trance, reading over the cursive signage that decorated the large glass to the small business. Mindlessly, she followed the pedestrians over the crosswalk and opened the door to the establishment.

"Welcome to Sweet Pea Pod!" a lovely young girl greeted from behind the cash register. 

"Hi," Eliza peeped, while looking around at all the bright colors and pastels that decorated the baby store. 

Walking around the counter, the worker asked, "Looking for anything in particular?" 

"Oh no. I'm... I'm just looking around," Eliza nervously answered.