She's Mine: Chapter 29

Chapter 29

The apartment was quiet though it was occupied by four. Lulu was fast asleep on a blanket in the middle of the living room floor, and Eliza stared blankly at her child that was unaware of the volatile world around her.

Troy sat in a hunch on the couch, his fist cupped over his hand to contain the volcano that lived within him. But the most visibly angry was Emmy. Hands on her hips and staring down at Lulu, she was ready to spew the collection of thoughts simmering in her mind. But like Troy, she held her tongue waiting for the victim to break the silence.

Luckily, Eliza did, quietly asking, "Did everybody eat?"

"I don't have much of an appetite," Troy replied, and Emmy hummed in agreement.

Eliza stood up from the couch, "Well, we have to eat something."

They didn't argue with her, but they weren't lying about not being able to swallow much after seeing the images Eliza took on her phone of her desk.

They let Eliza prepare a late dinner without interruption. During the preparation, her mind circulated around the events of calling security and the authorities following soon after. She had to tell her story at least three times, but the more she did the more she was sure nothing was going to come of the report.

After dinner, Troy asked her what was on her mind and she confessed to her belief. The last thing they wanted to engage in was an argument but one ensued.

"I haven't stopped believing in anything, Troy," Eliza said again.

Troy snapped,"Then why are you saying that he's going to get away with anything?"

"Because hope isn't enough to stop him from using abusing the law. You know this," Eliza sighed.

He let a fraction of time pass between them before admitting,"Honestly... I'm surprised you're so calm right now."

She solemnly shook her head, "Because I'm just going to take this mayhem one hour at a time. I don't believe that after all we have been through that the world would fall in a way that would put her in his hands."

"You've changed a lot Eliza," he said.

"No... like you said, Troy... I just had to find myself again. And Andrew's never met that woman before."

A part of the identity she found again embraced control. Control of her feelings, control of her environment.

"I don't know why it's taken me so long to tell you I..."

Eliza's stomach dipped. The control vanished. She shook her head– eyes wide in disbelief, contemplating if everything was a hallucination.

"I'm a quick man. I know what I want and when I want it. I was sure I had been in love a few times before, but when you let me in, I realized I knew nothing. Those words aren't supposed to feel as light as they're supposed to be when you say it. Weighs so much it gets caught in my throat in my throat every time I'm in front of you."

"I love you... Troy," Eliza gasped.

Unable to turn away from the surprise on his face, her breathing was heavy as she thought aloud, "I have no idea why I was waiting to say it."

He began to blink rapidly, "Eliza–"

"Troy Daniels, do you love me?" she asked firmly, but fear never left her expression.

"I love you, Eliza Kelly," he immediately answered, his hands shaking.

Eliza angled her head and revealed a small smile, though he was trembling the same as him.