She's Mine: Chapter 6

Chapter 6

As soon as Eliza entered her office the next morning, she pulled out the new package of baby wipes from a large purse and put it into her desk's drawer. The morning sun was seeping through the blinds, and the rays proved to be more welcoming this time around– though she still lacked an adequate amount of sleep.

She opened up her email and, for once, didn't object to an early message from Troy.

"If lunch is still an option for today... 

There is a great place down the street that serves the best salmon. There is another restaurant that is a couple of blocks down that has a great lunch menu with surprisingly healthy options." 

Eliza leaned back in her chair and smirked. 

"I think I like the idea of salmon," she quickly replied. 

Within the hour she got a response stating that he will knock come noon time. 

The majority of the morning was incredibly smooth, and Eliza found the even mood of the workflow a bit strange. Taking a short break, she took up her phone and began to message Emmy. Her thumb hesitated over the button for a few seconds, but it eventually hit send. 

"Everything is going well, Ms. Kelly ;)" Emmy sent back in less than a minute, and relief washed over Eliza. 

But then, she caught herself. There was the sudden feeling of being okay. Before Eliza could delve deep into the meaning of her emotions, she was torn away from her thoughts by the ringing landline.

"Eliza Kelly," she murmured, looking at the blinking light beside the "#1".

She was prepared for the sullen tone, and she heard her boss demand, "Kelly, in my office. Now." 

Eliza hurried to Blackwell's doors and feebly knocked before venturing inside. 

"Yes, Mrs. Blackwell?" Eliza began as she approached the desk. 

Blackwell looked at the flats on Eliza's feet and loudly began, "Health insurance, Ms. Kelly."

The employee held a look of confusion, "Yes, ma'am?"

"I have to keep close tabs of our insurance expenses... with this new situation," she grumbled. 

Eliza was tempted to apologize, but she found it more suited to stay quiet.

"How is everything with the baby?" Blackwell questioned with lowered lids. 

"The baby is well," Eliza quickly answered, anxiousness in her eyes. She was waiting for something more from chief executive – maybe sympathy or a simple question about how she was doing.

Crinkles formed on one side of the boss's sharp nose, "It's not sick or anything is it? I know it was born a week early and that could cause some major health issues."

Eliza's hope crashed as quickly as it came, "No. She's very healthy."

"When is the next doctor's appointment?" Blackwell snapped. 

"This coming Friday?" Eliza muttered. 

Blue eyes showed even more distaste, and Blackwell questioned, "You don't know when your appointment time is scheduled?"