She's Mine: Chapter 19

Chapter 19

The conference was tiring, the conference was successful, but most of all the conference was finally over. Eliza was exhausted like usual, but she was... happy. 

As she was packing up the last of her luggage, she took the last minute to unzip a compartment and pull out a little bib. She ran her thumbs over the soft fabric before lifting it to her nose to remind her senses of what was in store for her in five hours. 

Her phone's alarm resounded to remind her it was time to checkout. With haste, she tucked Lulu's first bib into her large purse and collected her bags to be on her way to the lobby. The clerk gladly took Eliza's card and checked her out, but not without returning the departing tenant a curious eye. Eliza's distant demeanor was gone. The gray-haired woman behind the desk remembered checking in a sunken, more vacant woman– something that penetrated the heart deeper than a long flight and travel to location of stay. 

Once Eliza was officially signed out, the clerk sent her off with, "Thank you for staying with us, and have a safe trip back." 

Blinking rapidly in surprise, Eliza nodded her head and whispered a thank you to the veiled blessing. 

Waiting for the rest of her team, she opened up her computer and began typing away to conclude the report Blackwell would desire about the conference. 

"I could see that little smile from a mile away," Troy suddenly proclaimed from above.

Eliza's head lifted in a flash and found Troy grinning with his hands behind his back.

"Hi," she sighed with a smile. 

The imaginary hat tilted again and he crooned, "Howdy."

She didn't know what she was going to do with this man. A moment alone wasn't something they had since he visited her suite two evenings before. They were around one another for dinner with clients and at the bar for the team to enjoy themselves on the last night before they flew back to their everyday lives.

There may not have been able to spend time alone, but affection was still shared through a seemingly harmless brush of the back of the hand, an accidental bump here and there, or even a little note underneath a bar napkin. Somehow everything tasted so sweet to her, and John made the most of Eliza's delightful attitude chatting her ear off on the plane ride back.

Now, they had officially departed from their flight and all scrambled to find their families or taxis. 

"Is Helen coming to get you?" Eliza peeped, once Troy pulled his phone away from his ear.

Surprised that Eliza was so near, he looked down to his side and nodded with a smile. 

"It's not often that I can get Ms. Kelly to prompt a non-work related conversation with me," he coyly remarked.

Eliza twisted her lips, but kept a smirk on them. 

"I don't regret any of what happened," Troy abruptly mentioned without a dash of humor. 

"Me neither," she hastily replied, staring him straight in the eyes. 

Their proximity was dangerous, even in the public eye. The more they didn't attempt to recreate what happened two evenings ago, the more they were starting to lose their minds. Luckily, they were interrupted just in time.