She's Mine: Chapter 11

Chapter 11

Eliza sat on the couch, listening to joyful sounds coming from the middle of the living room. The little baby was in a swinging bassinet, grinning and kicking at Emmy who was provoking her to smile.

"Look at who is on the couch!" Emmy cheered. 

Eliza immediately pulled away from her drafted email and looked at the cheerful baby in the bassinet. Little fidgets and gurgles animated the little person and her mother was already lost in a daze.

"Who?" Emmy teased over and over again, while tickling her little stomach. "You always perk up whenever I ask who you're so excited to see."

"Does she really?" Eliza muttered with concern, out of the blue. 

Emmy's look of surprise was directed at an anxious expression, "Of course, Eliza." 

Eliza was still trying her best to make sure that her confession to Troy wasn't her just talking in the heat of the moment. Not often did she allow herself to become overly emotional, but Troy's compassion let her have a moment to say just what was on her mind. 

Emmy continued to play with the bright-eyed baby, mimicking the small coos, "Loo loo loo loo!" 

"She misses me?" Eliza questioned again. 

"She loves you," Emmy chuckled, sending her fingers over the small belly again. "She'll always love her mommy." 

Eliza closed her laptop and placed it beside her with haste. She kept wondering why everything she did took a second-guess if her decision no longer felt like a mistake. 

"Do what you want," Emmy quietly encouraged, getting up from the floor. 

"I don't want to bother her," Eliza admitted with worry. 

Emmy raised a brow and tilted her head at her with a lack of amusement, "Child, please. All she'll ever want from you– now– is your touch."

Pleased as she observed the new mom carefully picking up her baby, Emmy crossed her arms in delight and took in a deep breath. She wasn't sure that Eliza would ever get to this point, but something had happened over the past week that must have made Eliza want to keep her.

Emmy watched the large-eyed baby quiet down and stare over her mother's worried face. 

"How does that feel?" Emmy lowly questioned. 

"I don't know. She's not smiling," Eliza sighed. 

Emmy stood up and cracked her back, "Try bringing her close, mama."

As soon as Eliza did as she was told, a gummy smile was on the small face. Drool was following, but before Emmy could wipe the little baby's mouth, Eliza held her to the breast and removed it with her palm. 

Emmy curled her lips inside to contain the excitement as she ran into the kitchen to wash a few more tiny bottles. All she could do was hope that Eliza was never going to question keeping the little girl around, and it was proving that things were going her way when she ventured back out into the living room to witness Eliza holding her baby close to her neck. 

"Are you okay, Eliza?" Emmy asked when she took a few steps near. 

The mom wiped her face and sniffed before nodding. Emmy knew why she was crying, and she was sure it wasn't due to frustration this time.