She's Mine: Chapter 4

Chapter 4

Emmy carefully placed the strap to the large bag on Eliza's worn shoulders. After her brother's hostile encounter, the rest of the week and weekend had been trying for both women. Eliza entered a mild depression, and Emmy sympathized with her considering that the father was already out of the picture; the only thing that Eliza needed to be concerned with was her and her baby's well-being.

"Are you going to be all right?" Emmy questioned as Eliza grabbed her purse from the sleek kitchen counter. 

Eliza lifted up her head to the anxious brown eyes and shrugged.

"That's okay. Just take care of yourself while you're away," Emmy weakly smiled. 

Eliza nodded and sluggishly trailed to the door. Emmy looked down and smiled at the pair of comfortable flats on new mom's feet, but quickly wiped away her joy when Eliza suddenly turned around in panic. 

Eliza put her hand up to her chest, but before she could ask, Emmy chuckled, "Don't worry. You've left enough food for her." 

"Okay," Eliza sighed before jiggling the knob and rushing out. 

The Bluestar elevator stopped at the thirty-fifth floor, and Eliza wasn't aware of the parting doors until a few passengers flooded around her. Rushing out she bolted down the hall but stopped mid-stride and sighed before detouring to the bathroom. 

Finally, she was at her desk. She hadn't come across any immediate obligations in the morning and it was standard for the pressure to began the moment she stepped in everyday at 7AM. Now, it was 11:30AM, and she was beginning to think that she would actually have a full morning of peace. 

About ten minutes later, she heard a knock at her door and she took her time to get up and answer it. 

"Good morning, Mr. Daniels," she greeted, poorly concealing her surprise. 

"Morning, Ms. Kelly. Did you have a moment for a brief chat?" he smiled. 

Her expression dropped, "About?"

"Oh... anything really. I'm having a slow day, and figured I stop by," he nervously shrugged. 

"Oh, uh... sure," she muttered while opening the door wide for him. 

"How was your weekend?" Troy asked while strolling around her office– one hand in pocket. 

She sat down at her desk as though she was sitting down in the space for the first time, "Good... yours, Mr. Daniels?" 

"Great. Lazy, but great," he snickered while observing a panoramic photograph on her wall. 

Silence overtook the room, and Troy quickly turned back around to find Eliza's anticipating eyes on him. 

"Sorry. I was just sneaking a peek around. I like photography, and I really asked to speak with you so I could take a glance at this piece," he jested. 

However, when she didn't laugh, he quickly made efforts to recover from his misinterpreted joke, "I... I was just kidding. I actually came to ask you a question." 

"Yes?" she grumbled. 

He scrunched his face and sighed, "Are you very busy right now?" 

She shook her head, "No. Not really."

"Oh good. I was wondering if you wanted to go to lunch with me and a few of the other guys?" he asked, pointing his thumb at the door.

She couldn't remember the last time she went out to lunch with a group at work. Her initial instinct was to turn down the request, but then she was hungry.