She's Mine: Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Pulling the gear into park, Eliza sat in silence in the underground parking garage of her apartment building. Once again, she mentally prepared to go to the top floor and tend to all of Emmy's demands.

She pushed her head back into the headrest and shut her eyes. There was no energy left in her from being on her feet from back to back meetings and frequent bathroom trips. Coming home to a relaxing environment was something she coveted, but now it was crowded with two people that needed her non-stop.

"Ms. Kelly," Emmy exclaimed with a loving smile.

"Hi, Emmy," Eliza groaned, popping off her heels again.

Emmy looked down at Eliza's red feet and shook her head, "I don't know how you do it. I'm telling you, a pair of flats will be the gospel to those toes. What makes you think you need to go back to life-before-pregnancy as soon as possible?"

"That's what I plan on doing," Eliza grumbled, while slowly making her way into the large living room.

She looked around before turning back to Emmy. Before Eliza could ask what was on her mind, Emmy smirked, "I just put her down for another nap. But don't worry, I'm sure she'll want to greet you in fifteen to twenty minutes."

Eliza ran her hand over the side of her face, still unprepared to deal with the frequent feedings and wails from a four-day-old baby girl.

"There's food I have ready for you after you wash up, Ms. Kelly," Emmy hummed with her hands behind her back and skipping to the kitchen.

Exhausted, Eliza sat down in the brand new rocking chair with heavy bags already underneath her eyes. Her hands were gripped tightly on the handles– uneasy while Emmy approached her with the screaming infant.

"C'mon. Try again," Emmy cooed at the hungry child, though she spoke to her mother.

Eliza uncomfortably took the baby in her arms again and tried her quickest to adjust to what the baby wanted.

"Who told you breastfeeding was easy, Ms. Kelly?" Emmy snickered while watching Eliza cringe at the discomfort.

Eliza groaned, "How long am I supposed to do this?"

"Every few hours," Emmy boldly stated.

Her eyes showed shock, "I can't do that with–"

Emmy wasn't going to listen, "Your baby is hungry every few hours, Ms. Kelly. She's going to be. She's not even a week old."

"Isn't the pump enough?" Eliza inquired with disbelief.

"Luckily when you're gone, she only wants to feed a few times. I'm thinking she knows when you're home though," Emmy chuckled while pulling her hair out of a puffy bun and running her fingers through.

Eliza didn't know what else to say, as she looked over the joyful look on Emmy's face. The caretaker with her for the past three weeks was forty-two but didn't look a day over thirty. Whenever she smiled, Eliza could hardly detect a single wrinkle within the rich chocolate tone of Emmy's skin. She had two kids of her own and fifteen years of childcare on her resume, so Eliza had to trust what she said.

"Ms. Kelly, are you scared to be a mother?" the youthful woman questioned.

Eliza looked down at the child in her arms, still frightened that she held a weightless person the supposedly needed her 24/7.

"It's okay to admit it," Emmy sighed before sitting on the couch across from Eliza.

"I don't know what to do. I have no idea what I'm doing," Eliza whimpered. "I never planned on this... ever."