21

AS soon as Mary got to work, she set about tidying her desk to prepare for the day. She hurried to Zoe's office to give her the latest news she heard and was surprised to find out that Zoe was yet to arrive at work. She was busy turning all the wheels in her head about what had happened to her friend when she got back to her office. Her phone was vibrating almost off her desk and she picked it just before the call cut. 

She didn't even see the caller, she just grabbed the phone.

"Mary, Mary", said the caller. It was from Zoe.

"Zoe, are you alright? You sound awful".

"For now yes. I'm a bit shaken up", Zoe paused and took a deep breath. "Have you seen the news?"

"No. Why? What's in the news?"

"The headline news got me in it. Listen, I don't have much time now. I've to head to the police sta-".

"Police station? What happened? Talk to me!" Mary gasped.

"Keep calm. I'd need your help. I just wanted you to know. I tried to reach the day – supervisor but he's not picking his calls. Please inform him that I'll come in later. Get the rest of the gist from the news. I'd fill in the blanks when I come. Meantime, hold on to your phone. Are you there?" Zoe asked because Mary was totally quiet.

"Yes, I'm here. I'd go straight to his office now and hope he has not heard the news. What can I do from here?" Mary asked in a small voice.

"For now nothing. I'll call you if I need anything. And try not to believe everything you hear in the news", Zoe cautioned.

"Alright, my friend. Let me go upstairs".

"Bye. Thank you", Zoe rung off.

Mary eyed the remote on her desk but didn't touch it. She stuck her phone into her jacket pocket and headed out of the office. She looked disturbed.