16

THERE were several guest inns along the water line but she usually stayed in the farthest from the others. It looked rickety but the interior was beautiful. She liked it because she had her privacy although there were grasses all around that swayed gently in the light breeze and gleamed golden in the evening sun. Her room overlooked the beach and she moved the table around so that she could sit in the chair and lookout.

She felt so alone as she sat on the bed unpacking the few clothes she brought. She arranged them in drawers and walked to the window and stood watching the sun descend. 

She changed to shorts and hung her camera on the neck with a pair of flat sandals and went out to the water's edge. She just snapped, focus, snap. 

Picture after picture. 

To her, everything looked clearer through the camera's lens. When she couldn't see anymore she went down the beach in search of a restaurant. The monsters were appearing more frequently. The waitress she had known smiled at her warmly.

"My dear, what would you have?" Camsi asked.

She ordered chips, fish and eggs with a bottle of Coca-Cola. Complete junk, complete meal. The restaurant was half full and everyone seemed busy with their meal but she felt uneasy. She ate hurriedly and bought some drinks to go. 

She would be safer in closed doors, with a structure around her. So she went back to the inn. She got in and immediately shut the door. She was breathing so heavily that she had to lean against the door. The inn-keeper was coming to the reception with towels in his hand and looked at her in a funny way.

"I'm fine, good night sir." I walked past him.

" Goodnight," he replied. "I always get the queer ones," he muttered under his breath. 

She heard him.