13

SHE finished writing her editorial and was musing about her unplanned dinner when her phone rang. One of her numerous contacts calling to tip her off. She was right.

"Hello?"

"Janet? Good afternoon."

"Yeah. How are you? It's been a while I heard from you?"

"Work is fine. Hectic as usual", she replied trying to clear some more space as she spoke. "So what do you have for me?"

"You never seem to hear all the juiciest stories and gist in town. I wonder how you stay in business!"

" Nkechi dear no be my fault o! I just don't know how I do it. Abeg, tell me jare," she laughed together with her friend.

"Na wa for you self. There's this show," she paused and waited for me to prod her.

"Okay a show," Janet repeated.

"Yes. But this one is one-in-town. All the crème-de-la-crème would be there. They say it's a benefit dinner but you know how these things are".

"I get it. But what kind of benefit is this one? Health or social?"

"Health. I hear it's a cancer benefit they want to use in creating awareness and raise funds for the cancer foundation. It's a black-tie affair though. The special thing is..." Here again, she paused and although; she was the one calling, Nkechi did not seem to count the minutes. She was in this one. She had no idea what she was going to give her friend.

"Nkechi now. Talk! What's the special feature?" Jane cajoled

"Ballroom dancing!" Nkechi said laughing heartily. Janet joined in. The idea of Nigerians waltzing was really funny with their beer bellies.

"My countrymen won't kill me o! All those overweight geriatrics rolling around," we laughed some more. "Sweets do you have an extra ticket?"

"Of course I do. Why else would I be calling you?"

"Aw .... You're a sweetheart. I owe you dinner," Janet had quickly come up with something that would not be time-consuming but delightful for both of them.

"And Janet? Let's discuss my new documentary. Then kill two birds with one stone."

"Yes, sure. Anything for a dear friend. Thanks, again I'd expect the invitation."

"Alright. I'd send someone with it before the weekend."

"Thanks, dear. You take care now."

"I'll have a nice day, workaholic!" Nkechi laughed.

"You too producer."

They both clicked off the phone. As she dropped the call, she went back to her editorial. She was hungry and needed to eat. She rang for her secretary to get the messenger. She had worked all through the morning and headache was brewing but more work waited.

A few minutes later, she had sent for food and stretched out on her office couch to wait for the food. She was planning a house party in her mind. She was scribbling the guest list in her head when she drifted off.