20

APRIL thought she would have a 'cleansing' trip so to speak. She came to the beach to find peace and clean her mind and head and the salt air had always helped her to relax. 

She decided to write a letter- an account of everything she had gone through and throw it into the sea. 

She enjoyed the long walks she took alone at the edge of the water letting it wash her ankles while she took pictures of everything that interested her. 

Oddly on this trip, she couldn't shake the feeling that something was not right. She felt queasy in her bones so she decided to pack up and go home. Only after writing her letter and throwing it into the sea. 

She was disappointed that Robin had not returned her calls and had not even tried to search for her. She figured he would have found the post-it she left under the new addition to her balcony. Well, maybe she gave him too much credit, she thought.

She sat at the desk and tried to write. At first, nothing came to mind and she just doodled on the paper but she was determined to check out of the inn that day. She squeezed the paper and put another clean one on the desk while chewing the nails of her right hand. She started with the year her father started on her and the words just flowed. She was crying halfway through the page, and then she got distracted by a noise outside her window. She could continue, she thought. The noise increased a bit.

Stop, whatever was scratching would not stop. But the noise did not stop. She decided to go round to check the source and she stepped out into the bright sunlight. The children all scattered, chattering and laughing.

She was happy and sad at the same time. 

She went back in and picked up her pen but nothing came out. So she decided to take a stroll, picked up her wide-brimmed hat, sun-shades and went outside. She would grab a bite to eat, try to write some more and then be on her way. 

She walked down the beach to her regular haunt. Camsi was busy so one of her other girls served her. She ate a little and took solace in sugar, lots of sugar to comfort herself and make herself happy. So she loaded the sugar. 

She was bound to have a stomach upset but she didn't care. She just wanted to get everything out of her system so she could move on and live a normal life. But it seemed the words were stuck. Well, she would force them out.

The waitress refused to serve her a fourth bottle of soda at Camsi's orders. At that point, she burst out crying in frustration. She glared at Camsi in anger. But Camsi just stared in disapproval. 

She felt like a recalcitrant child under that glare, even the inn-keeper thought she was queer and Robin did not pick or return her call. She felt like a misfit which only made her cry harder. Through her tears, she saw someone sit at her table but she did not immediately recognize him as someone she had seen recently. All she knew was that he was sitting opposite her one minute and hugging and patting her shoulders the next minute. 

She got a few odd stares from the other diners.

"Let it out. Everything", he said.

She cried for a few more minutes and wiped her eyes with the back of her hands.

"I'm sorry, do I know you?" she asked with a shaky voice. She was amazed that she had allowed a complete stranger to pet her. She had let down her guard which was not good at all.

"No. But you will", his smile was warm when he responded. The corners of his eyes were crinkled.

"Alright. Thank you and sorry for wetting your shirt", she apologized.

"It's okay. It happens. Come now, I'm sure you're ready to leave here".

"Sure. Let me settle my bill", she said and walked over to the counter and dropped money there without a 'goodbye'.

"Let's go. I'm going back to my lodge. Thank you once again".

They were outside in the sun by then. She was about to turn and head towards the inn when he stopped her, pulling her back.

"I want to change my shirt. Come with me. That's the least you can do. Isn't it?" he asked although his voice brooked no argument.

She just nodded and whimpered. He marched her in the opposite direction and they walked for a while till they got to his lodge. He unlocked the door and stepped aside for her to precede him. She entered and he immediately locked the door again.

"Who are you?" she asked as he turned on the light she noticed that all the windows were blackened out. What had she gotten herself into now?

He cackled wickedly. "Who am I?"

She shrunk back to the wall. She was frightened. She tried to think through the fog in her brain.

"Ok no need to tell me. Just change your shirt; I have to head back to town".

"No, no, no dear one", he said. He came close to touch her cheek and she slapped his hand away.

"Stop it you monster", she spat.

He slapped her hard across the face. Then caressed her face again and licked the tears that sprung from her eyes. She cowered in fear. He stepped away from her just then and stepped into the only other doorway.

She was thinking of a plan, how to escape when he came back in with a frosty glass and set it on the table.

"That's for you. Hope you're fine", he dripped with concern and it was hard to believe that he had just hurt her. This was a disoriented man. She decided not to drink the juice figuring that it may have been drugged. How right she was even though she didn't know it.

"I'm fine", she responded. "I'm not thirsty".

"Surely you would not want to annoy me. I went to considerable stress to get this for you. So drink up!" He picked up the glass and took it to her where she still stood with her back against the door. She took a sip and pushed away, slipping sideways he grabbed her.

"I've made the room comfortable for you. Don't you want to see?", he whispered into her ear. His breath was warm against her nape as he licked her ear lobe. She flinched.

"Maybe another time. I really have to get going."

He grabbed her hand and dragged her intothe room. She resisted which only made him angry and then she screamed. Withall her might, she tugged away from his grasp and ran toward the door. 

Hepulled at the flimsy chiffon top she was wearing and slapped her hard threetimes. He picked her up and took her to one of the two rooms. Then he tied herto the bed and gagged her.