10

"Why do you want to be with me?" I asked as hope bubbled inside of me

He was silent for a minute or two. All I heard was heavy breathing and the rustles of leaves outside the house. At first I thought he would answer but he decided to let my question hang.

When the pizza came, we ate in silence as if we both our voices were snatched away. After one slice, I abruptly stood up, "Goodnight, Aaron."

He looked up and gave me a tired smile. A resigned smile. A snile I know I will be thinking of for the rest of the night, "Goodnight, chief."

---

The next day, a knock awakened me from my slumber. Groaning in annoyance, I grabbed the pillow next to me and placed it over my head to snuff out the sound.

But the knocking didn't stop.

"Manang Soling! I'm still sleepy," I shouted and curled up into ball. "Let me sleep some more." I closed my eyes again and pulled the blanket up to my neck.

"Get up, Cassi. Breakfast is ready." My eyes flew open immediately. Memories rushed inside my head at the sound of Aar0n's voice.

We are in Bicol. Dammit, we are in Bicol! Only the two of us!

"Don't make me wait, Cassidy." I rubbed the sleep out of my eyes and opened my door to a poker-faced Aaron who was still in last night's clothing. He was staring intently that I had to avert my gaze.

"Good morning." I greeted him before letting go of a yawn.

"Morning. Have a seat." He motioned to the space beside him. There were bread, fried rice and tuyo.

"Saan ka nakakuha ng pagkain?" Nagtatakang tanong ko.

"Dinalhan tayo ng agahan no'ong may-ari ng bahay, si Aling Pacing." Umupo siya at nagsandok na ng sinangag. Nakita niyang nakatingin lang ako sa kanya kaya nagtaas siya ng kilay. "Dine with me. What are you waiting for? Eat fast so we could shop for clothes."

I looked at him, wondering why he suddenly decided to be moderately nice to me. "Hindi mo ako pipiliting bumalik sa Manila?"

"If you want to stay here, then let's stay here. Dito tayo pansamantalang tutuloy kung ayaw mong bumalik." Tumango ako at tinutok nalang 'yong atensiyon ko sa pagkain. "I won't force you, Cassidy, if that's what you're worried about."

Nang matapos kami ay pumunta kami sa pinakamalapit na grocery. First, we ticked off all the essentials from the list of we made earlier.

For some reason, I couldn't supress a smile as I watched him push the grocery cart in and out of every aisle.

"Is there anything else you want?" He asked while putting five beer cans on the cart.

I nodded, "Junk food."

He creased his eyebrows. "It's not nutritious, pick something else.

"Okay." Mabilis akong tumalikod. I heard him sigh. And when I turned, I saw him picking the pack of Nova on the rack. He then transferred it into our shopping cart which is now overflowing.

I grinned. "Thanks!"

He rolled his eyes. "Let's go to the counter."I happily followed him towards the cashier so he could pay for the groceries.

The woman behind the register was looking at me intently as if trying to figure out where she'd seen me. Wishing that she wouldn't put the pieces together, I quickly looked down. Thankfully, she resumed scanning the items and we were cleared off in no time.

Aaron and I walked home. He put the groceries atop the dining table and locked the house door again.

"Let's go buy some clothes on the ukay. I saw one outside." He looked like he wanted to disagree but after a few beats, he decided to shrug.

"Tara?" Pukaw ko sa atensyon niya. Tumango siya at sumunod na lang sa akin. Nagpunta kami sa kinaroroonan ng ukay at gulat na napapalatak si Aaron.

"A shirt for forty pesos? Is this place for real? What kind of material do they use?" Pinagtitinginan siya no'ng ibang namimili.

I gave him an annoyed gander. "Your mouth is going to get us killed one day."

Rolling his eyes, he returned the shirt and examined other apparels.

After twenty minutes ay nakapili na ako ng maraming damit. I bought clean undies from a nearby store. Si Aaron din marami nang napili, kahit mukhang wala pa rin siyang tiwala sa kalidad ng mga damit na kinuha niya.

We both collapsed on the hard bamboo sofa when we got home. Aaron checked his watch. "It's late. Wala pa tayong lunch," he muttered. "I'm starving."

"Ako na magluluto," I volunteered. He knows I can't cook. But instead of arguing, he snickered and nodded. He seemed too exhausted to prepare lunch for the two of us.

"Cassidy." Damn it. Even his voice sounded sexy. I turned and said, "What?"

His eyes bore deeply into mine.

"Be careful and please try not to burn the kitchen." He then smiled. Again.

Damn it, my cooking might not burn the kitchen but that smile sure will.