38

"How are things in the bakery doing?" Asked a curious Drei on the other line

"How are things in the bakery doing?" Asked a curious Drei on the other line. I smiled when I heard his voice. He seriously has this effect on me.

"Tout va pour la mieux du monde." I answered, telling him that everything's fine.

I am currently sitting at the back of my bakeshop. Drei's sister, Aria, was the one who taught me how to bake. It was hard at first, but there's nothing you can't do with a little bit of faith and determination.

Eventually, baking became my labor of love. Aria and I built this shop two years ago and now, I'm proud to say that it already has two branches in Paris. We sell cakes, pastries, and other sweet delicacies.

"I'll fetch you later. Would that be okay?" His voice was husky and inviting that I can't help but giggle.

"Oui. Je t'aime," Even though I couldn't see him, I know that there is a smile tugging at the corner of his lips right now.

"Love you too. Gotta go back to work, a bientot mi amour!"

"You too, mon amour."

I heard him chuckle from the other line before I hung up. I remember the way Drei looked when he was asking me if he stood a chance with me. At first, I told him that he should find a woman whose purity isn't tainted yet.

He deserves someone better than me. 'Yong wala pang anak sa pagkadalaga. 'Yong taong hindi sugatan ang puso. 'Yong taong walang tinatakbuhang nakaraan.

But even though he wasn't certain if I would be able to return his feelings, he didn't leave me. He was always there for me when I needed him.

Naalala ko nga no'ng ipinanganak ang kambal. He was there. He carried Xander in his arms like he was his own. Like he came from his own flesh and blood. Naiyak nga rin siya nang makita ang mga bata.

Ilang taon niya rin akong hinintay, and I fell for him. Kasi hindi naman siya mahirap mahalin. Mabait siya, matalino, at maalaga. Nakikita ko rin sa kanya na mahal niya ang mga anak ko.

Drei witnessed the twins grow up. He was there when they first learned how to speak and read. He taught Alexiana how to draw and Alexander how to play piano. He loved them. And for that, I admired him even more.

Pinanood ko lang ang mga taong lumalabas at pumapasok sa C'est la vie. I checked my watch and saw that it was past the school dismissal of the twins. They'll be here any minute.

One of my staff sat in front of me. "Hi, Cesca,"I greeted. She's a close Filipino friend.

"Nakangiti ka na naman. May date kayo ni Drei?" she bantered and I chuckled. She knows me so well.

"Oui. Halata ba talaga?" natatawa kong tanong.

Ngumiti siya bago tumango. "Ou allez-vous?"

I shrugged. "Je ne sais pa. Drei's full of surprises, you know?"

"The guy is really in love with you, Cassi! Naalala mo ba no'ng pumunta ka rito at ang daming lalaking nakatingin sa 'yo?"

"Il ne m'a pas quitte des yeux." He never took his eyes off me. I tried to suppress my smile but failed. Naalala ko nga 'yong araw na 'yon. He was so possessive and clingy. And I found it cute.

"Siya nga pala, kailan ang balik niyo?"

Natigilan ako bigla sa tanong niya. I mentally cursed myself for forgetting. We are planning to go back to the Philippines next month.

When the twins' fourth birthday came, Xiana's wish was to go back to the Philippines and meet her dad. Xander wasn't so eager. Kuntento na si Xander na nakita niya sa picture si Aaron.

But Xiana wants to meet Aaron so bad. We're going back. After five long years, we're going back.

Ang tagal narin naman namin dito sa France. Maybe it's really time to let the kids meet him. Sana naman ngayon tanggapin na niya nang buong puso ang mga bata.

---

Dumating na ang kambal kasama si Manang. Xiana ran to me and asked if she could sit on my lap. Pinaupo ko siya sa hita ko, si Xander naman umupo sa tapat ko.

"Mommy, je voudrais gateau au chocolat," Xander said, pointing at the chocolate cake on the counter.

Tumayo si Cesca sa upuan para siya na ang kumuha ng gusto ni Xander. "What does Xiana want?" Cesca asked from the counter.

Xiana beamed. "Un la tarte aux pommes," sagot niya.

Cesca smiled. "Un moment, s'il vous plait." The staff are currently working on our orders.

"How's school?" tanong ko to keep them from being impatient.

"Good. I perfected po the quiz," Xander said.

I ruffled his hair. "Good job! Mommy's proud." Nag-cross arms si Xiana. "Alexander always perfects the quiz! Maybe he is daya, that's why."

"I'm just smart." Tinapunan niya ang kakambal ng isang nang-aasar na tingin. The orders came and I watched the twins eat. Kamukhang-kamukha nila si Aaron. Si Xander, pati ang lagging pagsimangot ay nakuha niya.

                Watching them like this, young and innocent, makes my heart swell with happiness. I think every parent reaches a point where they wish their kids wouldn't grow up too fast.

I was watching the twins eat when I heard a familiar voice.

"Cassidy?" Gulat na napatingin ako sa nagbanggit ng pangalan ko. There was a familiar guy standing in front of our table. Tiningnan niya ako, tapos ang kambal. Mukhang gulat na gulat siya.