6

I decided to go straight home after my photoshoot today because I was knackered

I decided to go straight home after my photoshoot today because I was knackered. I let my heels clank on the tiled floor. I headed to the kitchen and found Manang Soling slicing some carrots. "Manang?" I approached.

She looked startled. Her hands automatically flew to her face to try to wipe the tears.

"Why are you crying?" Nilapitan ko siya agad at niyakap. She sobbed and I patted her back to let her know that I'm here for her. "Ano po'ng problema?"

Kumalas siya sa yakap ko tapos ay umiling-iling. "Wala, anak. Naalala ko lang dati ang liit-liit mo pa. Ngayon, ang laki mo na."

I looked into her eyes and could tell that she was lying. "You know me, I won't let the matter go until you tell me what's bothering you, Manang Soling."

She sighed and turned her back on me. She continued slicing the carrots."Manang, if you don't tell me, then I will ask the other maids. So it's better if you spill it."

Her eyes were full of sadness. Her voice was cracking when she spoke. "Simula five years old ka, ako na nag-alaga sa 'yo. Napamahal ka na sa akin, Cassidy. Tunay na anak na ang turing ko sa 'yo. Ayaw kitang iwan pero kailangan. Dapat nga magpasalamat pa ako dahil naging parte ako ng buhay mo." Bakas sa mukha niya ang labis na lungkot.

I quickly closed the gap between us and hugged her. "Manang, what are you saying? Are you leaving me?"

She slowly nodded.

"Ayoko." Muntik na akong pumiyok dahil pakiramdam ko ay may bumibikig sa lalamunan ko.

Niyakap niya rin ako nang mahigpit. "Ayoko rin namang iwan ka. Kaso pinal na ang desisyon ni Sir Alvido."

My eyes shot up. "What does Alvido have to do with this? Pinalayas ka ba niya? Sinisante? I won't let you leave. Kakausapin ko siya pagdating niya."

Pinunasan niya 'yong luha sa mga mata ko. "Kailangan niya itong gawin, anak. Intindihin mo rin siguro siya. Nagbabawas na siya ng katulong para makatipid sa gastos."

Nagbabawas para makatipid? What kind of game is Alvido playing? Last I checked, we were filthy rich!

Narinig ko ang ugong ng sasakyan. Agad akong lumabas para salubungin si Alvido kahit na nagsusumamo si Manang na hayaan ko na lang.

I can't just let it go. I can't just let Manang leave for good!

When Alvido entered the mansion, I threw him a look of distaste. Confusion was visible on his features when he saw how sharp my stare was.

"You're not going to fire Manang Soling," I said acidly. "I will not allow it, Alvido."

Umiling siya, "Hindi kita mapagbibigyan. I have to remove half of the maids to save the money we have left. Nauubos na ang pera natin, Cassidy. Do not be an overgrown brat."

Nanunuyang tiningnan ko siya. "We have millions! What the hell are you saying? And don't you dare call me a brat!"

"Then stop acting like one. We used to own millions. Ngayon, nabaon na sa utang ang kompanya at unti-unting naubos ang mga properties natin!" Maanghang niyang balik. "We have to cut the expenses so I have to get rid of half the helpers."

My mouth quivered and then I gritted my teeth. "I don't believe you. That's impossible! My... my mother left millions! Hindi puwedeng basta basta na lang malugi ang kumpanya!"

"Oh, you need an evidence? Do you want me to show you a bank statement, Cassidy? Stop living in your safe little bubble of ignorance! Maghihirap tayo!"

"Liar! That can't be true." Napaatras ako.

"Matagal nang lugi ang business natin. Akala ko makakabangon pa tayo, kaya sumugal ako. Pero lalo lang tayong nalugmok. I sold our properties in Baguio, Palawan and Puerto Galera."

Mariin akong napapikit. My father loved our house in Palawan. It's the only property I go to, that reminds me of him.

"Our business is crashing down faster than an airplane about to explode." He said weakly.

This can't be happening. Nanghihina ang mga tuhod ko. "Pinaghirapan ni Mommy itayo ang kompanya, hindi 'yan puwedeng mawala sa atin!" I was almost breaking down.

He heaved a sigh. "I'm so sorry."

"My parents worked so hard for that! Bakit mo hinayaang malugi? This is all your fault!" I accused. I was starting to get hysterical. "Kasalanan mo ito! Kasalanan mo!"

'Ayun ako at nagpapakasarap sa buhay dahil sa pag-aakalang mayaman pa rin kami. Pero ang totoo pala, bankrupt na ang kompanya.

We're going broke.

"I did everything, Cassidy! Kung tumulong ka sana sa kompanya, then this wouldn't have happened. Stop blaming me for your incompetence! You wanted me to do all the work while you wasted your time partying!" He shouted with the same amount of intensity I had in my voice. He pointed a bony finger at me.

I stood up and faced him. "Saan mo dinala ang pera ng Mama? Sa casino? Sa pagsusugal mo?"

Nanlulumong napaupo siya sa isang silya.

"Don't you dare deny it. You used our company's money so that you could gamble! That's the main reason kung bakit pabagsak na ang kompanya! You're a covetous gambler!" He did not admit or deny it, but I could see the truth on his eyes.

"If you do not want to lose the company then you should cooperate! Nagawan ko na ng paraan, ang kailangan mo na lang ay makisama, Cassidy. We have a benefactor."

"Sino?" Nagtatakang tanong ko. Sinong businessman ang magtatangkang tumulong sa isang paluging kompanya?

He gave me a defeated look and spoke. "I don't want to lose the company. I was desperate. I had to find a solution."

Hindi ko maintindihan ang sinasabi niya pero may pakiramdam ako na hindi maganda ang solusyon na ginawa niya.

"What did you do?"I asked, feeling frightened all of a sudden.

"I sold you."