16

Aaron and I are on the couch watching cartoons

Aaron and I are on the couch watching cartoons. He hugged me and buried his face on the side of my neck. I can feel his breath and it tickles me.

"I'm sorry," he says all too suddenly.

I frowned. "Sorry for what?"

He traced the lines on my palm. The television show we were watching was left forgotten. My attention was focused on him at this very moment.

"Sorry for being mean and acting rough. I let the anger consume me and right now, I just want to take back all the hurtful things I've said." He fidgeted with my fingers the way he does when he thinks I'm angry or upset.

"Apology accepted. It was my fault too. I should've told you instead of pushing you away."

He hugged me tighter and kissed the top of my head. "Hindi ko alam kung anong nagawa kong mabuti nung huling buhay ko para ibigay ka sa akin."

Ang hirap hindi kiligin sa mga sinasabi niya. Napaisip ako kung seryoso ba siya sa sinabi niyang pakakasalan niya'ko. Yes, I want to marry him. But I think it's still too early for marriage.

"Aaron?"

"Hmm?" He nuzzled my neck and I bit back a moan.

"Are you serious about getting married?"

His head perked up and his eyes were searching mine. "Yes. Ayaw mo bang pakasalan ako?"

"It's not that. I do. It's my dream to be married to you, but I don't think I'm ready for that kind of thing yet." My voice got tinier as I finished my sentence. I forced down the guilt I was feeling.

He gave me a questioning look. "You're not ready..." He trailed off. I nodded slowly while looking at my feet.

"I want to. But not now. Not yet." He sighed and was about to stand up when I reached for his arm. "I'm scared that I won't be a good wife for you," I reasoned. He didn't reply.

"Please try to understand, Aaron. I'm not turning your offer down, but I'm not accepting it either."

After a minute of silence, I finally loosened my grip on him. He trudged towards his room and I heard the lock on his door click. I let a few minutes pass befor I walked towards Aaron's door and knocked twice.

When he didn't answer on my third knock, I spoke. "I love you. I'll be in my room."

I sat on my bed while staring at the ceiling. Aaron must really hate me right now. I left him and now that we're okay again, I turned down his marriage proposal.

It was already past six when I decided to take a bath. Maybe the cold water will bring light to my mind. A good bath soothes me. I entered the small dilapidated bathroom and took a quick shower. I went out and was a bit shocked to see Aaron sitting on the living room sofa.

He raised his eyes and saw me. I smiled awkwardly, scenes of our love-making instantly flooding my mind, filling it with not so wholesome thoughts and ideas.

"Magbihis ka kaya? You can't just go around, walking around the house wearing a thin towel that's doing little to hide your body," he commented.

He grabbed a pillow and set it on his lap. I knitted my brows, wondering why he would put a pillow on top of his legs.

"Magbihis ka na, Cassidy," he repeated. I went inside my room and got dressed. I let fifteen minutes pass before going out. I saw him still seated calmly on the sofa. I cleared my throat but he didn't raise his head so I sat beside him.

"Are you still upset?" I asked him. He sighed before standing up to go to his room. I was palming my face when I heard the door of his room open. I saw him holding clothes neatly folded in one hand and a towel in the other.

He entered the bathroom and when he came out he was already dressed and was combing his still damp hair.

His body built seems to be shouting, Do me!

When his hair has dried, he nodded towards me. "Tara na kina Aling Pacing. You said she was expecting us."

He walked away, obviously putting as much distance as he can between us. He knocked on Aling Pacing's door and plastered a smile when the latter welcomed us inside her humble home.

"Pasok na kayo mga anak." Aling Pacing ushered us towards the living room. "Sandali lang ha? Ang aga niyong dalawa, wala pa ang anak ko at hindi pa tapos magluto si Carding," she explained apologetically.

"Okay lang po," I answered.

"Buksan niyo na lang ang TV kapag nainip kayo. Tutulungan ko muna si Carding." She gave us one last smile before she headed to the kitchen.

Silence embraced us for minutes. I didn't want to talk because I know Aaron's still upset about me not agreeing to marry him. It's like a hard kick on his ego as a man. But I don't want to make rash actions.

I don't know how long we kept ignoring each other's presence but a knock pulled me out of my reverie. Aling Pacing and Mang Carding hurriedly walked towards the door.

"Makikita ko na ang anak natin. Sa wakas!" Mang Carding said, mirth present in his voice.

Aaron and I stood up, waiting behind the old couple. They opened the door and a tall guy in a blue shirt and denim jeans came into view.

Mang Carding patted his back while Aling Pacing hugged him. "Na-miss kita anak," she said.

The guy embraced her too. "Na-miss din kita, Nay." But the guy's eyes weren't trained on Aling Pacing. His eyes moved from his parents to Aaron and I. He gave me a smile. "Hi," he mouthed and I smiled timidly.

Aaron wrapped his arm around my waist and my heart jumped a few times. Aling Pacing's son gave her a questioning look. "Sino siya, Nay?"

Ngumiti si Aling Pacing and looked at me. "Aerold, anak. Siya si Cassidy. At ito naman si Aaron."

Aaron had this fake smile on his face when he walked closer to Aerold and offered his hand. "Nice to meet you, Aerold."

Aerold nodded and shook his hand. "Nice to meet you too, man."

Aaron smiled again, and before he let go of Aerold's hand, he said something that almost made me gasp.

"I'm Cassidy's husband."