1

I stared at my reflection in the mirror and was glad to see that the lipstick shade I picked suits me

I stared at my reflection in the mirror and was glad to see that the lipstick shade I picked suits me. My lips were the color of fresh strawberries.

I was wearing a black halter dress paired with killer black heels.

With a final smile on my reflection, I took my purse and gracefully exited my room. My friends are probably waiting for me.

I was halfway down the stairs when I heard my moribund stepfather utter my name. I raised my neatly plucked eyebrow and turned.

He was standing on his room's doorway. He scrutinized me and his expression tightened. "Wala ka na bang ibang gagawin sa buhay mo kung hindi ang mag-bar?"

The annoyance started to kick in immediately. I wonder where he got the gall to speak to me like that. "Wala ka na bang ibang gagawin sa buhay mo kung hindi pakialaman ako?" I shot back.

"Bakit hindi ka na lang kaya tumulong sa kompanya? Nagkakaproblema na tayo roon." Halatang may iritasyon niyang suhestiyon.

I rolled my eyes. I loathe him. I wish my real dad was still alive. Ever since my mother died years after ay ang stepdad ko na ang namamahala ng lahat ng ari-arian namin.

He married my mother for money, that I was certain of. I gave him a look of distaste when I remembered him saying that, weeks after my mother passed away.

Gusto kong lumayas sa bahay na 'to pero hindi ko gagawin. This is the only property my mother left for me because he brainwashed her into giving him most of the Hurdiss inheritance and wealth.

"I don't know what to do with you anymore. You're getting worse each passing day," he said as his jaw clenched to signify his extreme dislike.

"Oh, shut it." I waved my hand dismissively and walked down the stairs. Kinuha ko 'yong susi ng bagong bili kong kotse at sumakay rito.

My phone buzzed inside my purse. Upon pulling it out, I saw that I received a message from my friend. Ako nalang ang hinihintay nila sa bar. I have to hurry.

I parked in front of Andromeda. Bumaba ako sa kotse at pumasok na sa loob. I was greeted by the loud music reverberating on all corners of the whole place. Sinalubong ako ng dalawa kong kaibigan.

"Akala ko hindi ka na dadating." Altheia shouted before pulling my arm towards the booth she and our other friend Psyche, was occupying.

"I won't ditch the two of you. Nagkaro'n lang ulit kami ng encounter ni Alvido," I casually replied. Even saying my stepfather's name is causing me to grimace in disgust. "Better late than never, right?"

Tumango si Psyche and tugged at my wrist. "Let's get wasted tonight!" She yelled to get heard.

I was not planning to get drunk tonight but somehow, in some way, I found myself slightly dizzy because of too much alcohol intake.

Psyche and Altheia were busy dancing their hearts out. I took another shot of liquor as I stared at my hand. I eyed the ring I've been wearing for four years now.

He's not coming back, saway ko sa sarili ko. I sighed ang massaged my temples in a lame and useless attempt to ease the dizziness.

A guy slipped in the stool next to me just as I gulped down the last of my margarita. He offered a smile, and I just nodded, hoping that he gets the message that I have no plans of hooking up tonight.

"I'm Ken. You are?"

Barbie might kill me if I entertain this guy, I thought absently and shook my head. He ordered a Bloody Mary and took it in one gulp.

"What is a beautiful lady doing in this bar alone?" He queried, obviously playing dumb despite having been given the signals of nonchalance.

"I'm with my friends." I nodded towards the dance floor. "Not alone."

"Want to dance?" He pressed.

I shook my head for the second time. Ken was still sitting beside me when I ordered for another margarita. In a few moments, I was completely blitzed out. I reeked of alcohol.

"Hey, Ken!" I hollored as I tapped his shoulder. He faced me and I pointed towards the dance floor. His face lit up as he guided me towards the middle.

We danced sexily and maybe I was really losing my grip on sanity because I let Ken touch me. No, he didn't touch, he gripped.

"You're really hot," he mumbled on my ear. I grinned and danced some more.

"Shit, baby," he groaned. His hands roamed my body and I let him. I let him because at the moment, nothing else mattered other than this temporary bliss.

"What the!" His grip on me suddenly loosened as I heard him curse.

The next scene I saw was so appalling that it made me scream. I saw Ken lying unconscious on the dance floor while someone was bashing him in the face.

"Leave her the fuck alone!" The guy shouted as he let loose one final punch.

I froze.

That voice. Kahit lasing ako ay hindi ako p'wedeng magkamali. Tiny voices were screaming in my aching head right now, telling me to run so I won't have to face him.

But I held my ground. I waited for the guy to turn so I could confirm my suspicions. And when he did, my jaw slackened with surprise.

My heart started pounding. It's been four long years since we've been this close to each other. Four long years since we've stood face to face.

I looked at him but he was expressionless. I opened my mouth to say something but he grabbed my wrist and dragged me towards the exit.

"Teka, si Ken. He's bleeding. Baka napatay mo siya," I said, scared all of a sudden. He faced me, still poker-faced and unreadable. "I don't care."

I stopped on my tracks when I heard him say those words. He didn't really say that, did he?

"Ano?" Ulit ko para makasigurado.

Anger flashed in and out of his face. "I said I don't care. I'll pay the authorities. Lahat ng tao may katapat na halaga," madiin niyang saad.

I looked at him intently. Is this really him? "You're wrong. Hindi lahat ng tao p'wede mong tapatan ng pera."

He laughed sarcastically. "Ikaw ano ba'ng katapat mo?" He challenged. I was speechless, partly because I was shocked to see how much he's changed.

"That guy who was caressing your body a while ago, ganoon na ba mga tipo mo ngayon?" Patuya niyang dagdag.

"I didn't know na bumaba na pala ang standards mo," he snorted.

Para akong sinasaksak sa mga sinasabi niya. The corner of my eyes became hot. Hindi na ako sumagot.

Nagtungo ako sa kotse ko. For such a long time, I was wishing for this day to come. But I didn't imagine that this is how it would go.

I felt an arm tug at mine. I turned only to see him staring at me with such cold eyes. "Don't you dare walk out on me when I'm talking to you." He gritted his teeth and his grip on my arm tightened, causing me to wince in pain.

I pushed him hard and gave him a slap. My tears were threatening to fall but I held them at bay.

"I didn't know you could be this rude," I uttered, my voice almost breaking. He only gave me a cold stare and spoke slowly, as if to make sure his words would leave a mark.

"And I didn't know you have a tendency to be a slut, Cassidy."