4

Another sleepless night for me

Another sleepless night for me. After we argued at the bar, I went home. I haven't seen him in a month. Seeing him will bring back the pain and heartaches so we're better off this way, I guess.

I want to cry and hug myself out of pity for some reason. I used to mean the world to him but now, he can't even look at me without disgust. I even saw loathing in his eyes.

How could four stupid years take so many things away?

The ringing of my phone brought me back to reality. It was Christian.

"What's up?" I answered laconically.

"Tapos nang itayo ang billboard mo sa Edsa today!" Masigla niyang bati. Kung hindi sana mabigat ang pakiramdam ko ngayon ay ganoon rin ang tono ng boses ko.

"Nice," walang gana kong sagot. "Thank you for updating me."

"You sound different." He pointed out and I just shrugged even though he won't be able to see it.

"Just tired."

"Alright, get some rest. I'll be having a date with Theia!" He laughed and even called me cranky before he dropped the call.

Tumayo na ako sa kama at bumaba ako sa sala para mag-agahan pero sa kasamaang palad ay hindi pa nakakaalis si Alvido. He was seated at the dining table. Wala sana akong intensiyong sumabay pero kumakalam na ang simura ko.

He looked up from his newspaper and I noticed the bags under his eyes for the first time. I crunched my eyebrows upon the realization that he's getting thinner lately.

"Ang daming problema sa kompanya." Mukhang nag-aalalang pahayag niya.

"Go fix it then." Pabalang kong sagot.

"Kailangan ko ang tulong mo." Ibinaba niya na ang pahayagan at pinag-ekis ang dalawang braso sa dibdib.

I stopped walking and turned to face him. "It's your company now, Alvido. Hindi ba iyon ang ipinagsasabi mo sa mga empleyado? Panindigan mo. It's not my problem anymore."

I was seething from the inside. He's a moron if he seriously thinks that I would help the man who poisoned and corrupted my mother's brain. He doesn't deserve my help, or anyone's help.

Naglapag na ng mga pagkain ang mga maids sa table. Alvido looked at me sternly. "Nagbabawas na tayo ng katulong dito."

"Nagbabawas ng katulong? Naghihirap na ba tayo?" I asked, allowing a small bit of sarcasm escape my lips.

"We're close to that." He replied.  I didn't take it seriously and just continued eating.

That's absurd! We have millions at our disposal.

He was still speaking when my phone, which was on top of the dining table, suddenly rang. I took it and saw that it was Ivy, Christian's assistant. "Hello, Ivy?"

"Miss Cassi, may nagwawala rito sa office ng Galvan Corp!" Agad na napakunot ang noo ko. Hindi ko maintindihan kung bakit ako ang tinawagan niya.

The Sales Manager of Galvan was the one who hired me as an endorser. That's why I now have a billboard in Edsa.

"Just call the guards?" I suggested.

"Miss Cassidy, he's a very powerful man. Hindi siya malapitan ng mga guwardiya. Sinabi niyang hindi siya aalis hanggang hindi ka pumupunta rito."

Nagtatakang napatayo agad ako sa hapag-kainan.

"Who is he and what does he need from me?" May himig na ng pagkainis na tanong ko.

She took a deep and shaky breath, before she replied. "He's the renowned entrepreneur, Aaron Monteverde."

---

I drove fast to get to Galvan Corp as quickly as possibke. My heart was pounding inside my chest.

Nang makarating ako sa opisina ni Mr Chua, the Sales Manager, ay nakita ko agad ang pagkabahala sa mukha ni Ivy.

"Take down her fucking billboard." Dumagundong ang boses na iyon sa buong kuwarto. Magkahalong gulat at galit na humarap ako kay Aaron. 

"What is the problem with you?"

He glared, obviously pissed off. "Why did you accept their offer? You're showing too much skin on that damn billboard!"

I was too stunned to react. Humarap siya sa akin na nagtatagis ang bagang. "Have you lost every bit of your decency, Cassidy?"

"It's my job!" I raised my voice. "And I'm not even naked on the billboard!"

"You almost are!" He hissed, his annoyance like venom dripping out of his tone.

I raised my arms in surrender. "Sabihin mo ang gusto mong sabihin. That billboard will stay and you can't do anything about it," naiinis na tugon ko. Hindi nakalagpas sa akin ang tigagal na tingin ng mga tao sa loob ng opisina.

They were probably shocked with the appearance of the CEO of the Monteverde Group of Companies.

Tinaasan ako ng kilay ni Aaron. "Watch me," he said with finality.

"What are you going to do?" I asked, panicking. His irked expression was enough to unsettle me.

He reached for his pocket and took out a thick pad.

I gasped when I realized what he was about to do. He took a pen from his other pocket and signed the paper. Then he tore it from the pad and set it above Mr. Chua's desk.

Tinitigan siya ni Aaron ng mariin. "I'm paying you thirty million to take down the billboard."