Chapter 13

*Sierra's POV*

It was about time for the Barrel racing competition to start but I was already ready. My black cowboy hat sat next to me on the bail of hay outside Red's stall. Red stood quietly in front of me, reins slack and head hanging low. We always had our own special quite time before a competition.

The barn was in complete silence except for the rustle of the pigeons up in the rafters. I stroked Red's stark white blaze and looked into those chocolate brown eyes that melted my heart from the second I saw him. He nuzzled my hat next to me and picked up his head a little bit. He knew what was about to happen. I picked up the worn black hat and stood up.

"Alright, boy, lets go whoop some butt." I smiled to myself.

We made our way over to the arena where my class was about to start. I pulled off the black sweatshirt I had on to reveal my white tank top. It was so I didn't end up with horse hair and grass stains all over it. I placed it next to a hay bale and mounted up.

My brothers were already sitting on their horses by the gate. They had already went and were now awaiting the placement. Austyn and Chris were laughing about something but the rest of 'em wore a look of nervousness on their faces.

"The results of class 197 are in... In third place we have... Shawn Green."

The crowd roared with applause and screams. I let my reins rest on Red's neck and clapped for him. Shawn was a local boy that went to my high school. He was a big into rodeos and I was surprised he didn't rank higher. Shawn plastered on a happy smile and trotted into the ring, but I could see in his big blue eyes he was disappointed.

"In second place we have... Tommy Rogers."

I grinned to myself and looked over at Tommy. He was ecstatic and rode his mare, Lady Luck, into the ring. I knew he was probably about to burst with excitement because he couldn't keep that giant grin off his face.

"And in first place we have... Austyn Rogers." Now I didn't like to pick favorites but Austyn was my favorite brother. Even though he was oldest and I was the youngest, we were really close. I couldn't hold in my excitement for him so I let out a loud whistle and clapped like a mad person. The crowd was doing the same thing. He looked over at me and smiled and shook his head. He nudged his sleek bay gelding, King, into a smooth trot.

"Lets give them all one more big hand, ladies and gentlemen." The crowd roared one more time before the three riders were all ushered out of the arena. My class was next so they were all taking their horses back to the barn and coming back to watch.

I surveyed the crowd to look for Liam and the others and saw them right at the rail. They had all put on some fancy kind of sunglasses and a hat, even though there was a slim chance somebody would recognize them.

Ten minutes passed and my class started. There were only two other girls in this class, so it would be quick. Easy win.

A girl on a dapple grey Quarter Horse was the first to go. She banged her spurred heels against that poor horse and he took off like a bullet out of a gun. They went around the first barrel but she lost control after that. She lost both her stirrups and landed on the ground. The crowd let out a gasp as she lay there in the dirt and didn't move.

A team of paramedics ran into the ring a surrounded the poor girl. Her parents, I'm guessing, sprinted into the arena and kneeled next to her. Poor girl, I hope she's alright.

I say a flash of bright pink out of the corner of my eye, up in the stands. It was that new girl from the ranch. Mom told me that her name was Victoria Welch and her family was from New York City.

Why the hell is she here? I thought to myself. This girl was so out of place it wasn't even funny. She had on a tiny black skirt, bright pink tank top, and stiletto heels. Her fancy person was slung high on her shoulder and she was tottering over to where the boys were.

And the next thing she did, shocked the hell out of me. She went right over to Niall, grabbed the front of his shirt, and smashed his face into hers which I think was supposed to be a kiss. He jerked away immediately but I still saw red. My hands shook and I clenched my teeth to keep myself from yelling something that would probably get me in trouble. How dare she go over there and flat out kiss him? If she thought that she could get away with that then she had another thing coming.

The next thing I knew, my name was being called to enter the arena. An ambulance was leaving so I guess they were taking the girl to the hospital. The other girl had already went, so I was the last one. I trotted into the arena and stood until I heard the buzzer go off. Then everything melted away. The noise from the stands, the image of Victoria kissing Niall. All gone.

I kicked Red into a flat gallop and aimed for the first barrel. My left boot came close to scraping the barrel but we cleared it. I aimed him for the second barrel and we rounded that like pros. We took off for the last barrel and I pulled him in close to it. My right boot scraped at the barrel's side but didn't tip it. I clapped my boots against his sides one more time.

The crowd was roaring but I didn't care. All I wanted to do was hear what place I got, collect my money, and leave. I thought this would have been a fun day but that girl just had to come and wreck it.

"In third place... Charlotte Kitt." The crowd clapped even though the girl had already been taken to the hospital.

"In second place.. Willow Lewis." So, that meant I had one after all. Even though I was still mad, I let a small smile slip onto my face.

"And in first place is Sierra Rogers! Lets give them all a big hand." I trotted into the ring and my smile widened into a grin when I heard all those people cheering. My eyes landed on my brothers who were smiling and looking proud. I let my eyes wander to where I had seen Niall and the others last, and they were all clapping like mad.

The judge handed me my prize money and I thanked him. I was extremely happy now but I would have to go deal with that b*tch, Victoria, sooner or later.

_____________________________________________________

I know it's terrible but I really wanted to get this done. Sorry I didn't update last weekend but please tell me what you guys think. And I will leave you with one last sentence until next weekend: Easy, Breezy, Beautiful. Cover Squirrel.