Chapter 28

*Sierra's POV*

My mother had left a pair of sweatpants and a sweatshirt for me to wear home yesterday. The nurse that had been taking care of me for the past week and a half had helped me get dressed in them earlier, much to my protesting.

When Nightingale landed on me it broke and dislocated a couple of ribs, broke my left arm, and gave me a black eye. It hurt to even do the simplest things like put on a hoodie or lift a glass of water. Before, I could do so much stuff but now I was limited to my bed. No more rodeos, no more rides on the horses, no more anything. At least for a while.

Austyn walked in and grabbed the bag the nurse had packed for me with all my clothes, medecine, and the family quilt. He was dressed in the usual jeans, boots, and muscle shirt with his black cowoby hat in his hand.

"How ya feelin' little sis?" he asked as he ambled over to me and gave me a careful hug.

"Like shit," I grumbled as I struggled to stand from my bed and slide into a pair of flip flops. He grabbed my arm and wrapped it around his waist while leaning down to help me put on my shoes.

"Do you need a wheelchair?" He asked as he stood and watched me sway on my feet a little.

"I'm not going out in a wheelchair. That's final." I growled as I started to take small steps towards the door. My shoes shuffled on the cold linoleum of the hospital floors as I continued my walk down the hall, Austyn constantly attached to the material of my shirt. A mother and her young daughter that were sitting in the hall gave me sympathetic looks as Austyn stopped to sign me out but I was not taking anyone's sympathy. I had reverted back to my old ways, not talking about things that bugged me, not caring, and certainly not showing weakness.

"Alright, let's go. The truck is already pulled out front." We shuffled our way across the lobby and out of the hospital to Austyn's giant truck.

"Austyn, how am I supposed to get in? I couldn't even put on my shoes by myself." I questioned as I stepped up next to the truck and leaned against it.

"I'll give you a boost." He said simply as he opened the door and then turned around to me. He bent and wrapped his arms around my legs as I placed my hands on his shoulders to keep myself upright. Gently setting me in the truck, he buckled me in, making sure to be careful of my ribs, and closed the door.

He jogged around the front of the truck and hopped in on his side. Starting his diesel truck, he slowly pulled out of the parking lot and onto the main street.

"Hey, want some ice cream?" He looked over at me and smiled as he stopped to turn into the grocery store parking lot.

"Is the sky blue?" I asked with a smile as I looked over at him. "Chocolate, please?"

"Sure thing, baby sis." He chuckled as he jumped out and went into the store. While he was inside, I decided to turn up the radio. 'This Is How We Roll' by Florida Georgia Line blared through the speakers and all I could do was smile and turn it up.

"The mixtape's got a little Hank, little Drake

A little something bumping, thump, thumping on the wheel ride

The mix in our drink's a little stronger than you think

So get a grip, take a sip of that feel right

The truck's jacked up, flat bills flipped back

Yeah you can find us where the party's at

This is how we roll

We hanging round singing out everything on the radio

We light it up with our hands up

This is how we roll

This is how we do

We're burning down the night shooting bullets at the moon baby

This is how we roll

Yeah baby this is how we roll

We rollin' into town

With nothing else to do we take another lap around

Yeah holla at your boy if you need a ride

If you roll with me yeah you know we rollin' high

Up on them 37 Nittos, windows tinted hard to see though

How fresh my baby is in the shotgun seat oh

Them kisses are for me though, automatic like a free throw

This life I live it might not be for you but it's for me though

Let's roll!

This is how we roll

We hanging round singing out everything on the radio

We light it up with our hands up

This is how we roll

This is how we do

When the world turns ugly I just turn and look at you baby

This is how we roll

Yeah we're proud to be young

We stick to our guns

We love who we love and we wanna have fun

Yeah we cuss on them Mondays

And pray on them Sundays

Pass it around and we dream about one day

This is how we roll

We hanging round singing out everything on the radio

We light it up with our hands up

This is how we roll

This is how we ride

We slingin' up the mud, cuttin' through the countryside baby

This is how we roll

Yeah this is how we roll

This is how we roll

This is how we do

We're burning down the night shooting bullets at the moon baby

This is how we roll

Yeah this is how we roll."

I finished singing along weakly just as Austyn walked out of the store with two tubs of ice cream and plastic spoons. As soon as he got in, he chucked my tub at me along with my spoon.

"Thanks, Austyn. You're the second best brother in the world," I chuckled as I popped the lid and dug in.

"Well then who's the first, little miss smarty pants?" Austyn questioned as he too dug into his vanilla ice cream.

"That would probably be Ty. He doesn't pick on me as much." I smirked, knowing this would make him mad.

"Excuse me? Who came and got you from the hospital?" He retorted as he took the exit for the highway and merged. "I don't remember Ty jumping up this morning to come with me to pick up your ass." His face was slightly red as he continued to shove huge spoonfuls into his mouth while driving.

"I'm just kidding, Austyn." I chuckled as I finished my small tub of ice cream and set it back into the plastic grocery bag. "You're the best big brother ever." I leaned over as far as I could with my hurt ribs and kissed him on the cheek.

"Damn straight. And I hate to say it but you're the best little sister." He smiled as he handed me his empty tub to put in the bag.

"Ever?"

"Ever." He confirmed. "Get some sleep. I know you're tired and it's a long ride anyways."

"Thanks, big brother." I smiled as he passed me a blanket from the backseat. Wrapping myself in the warm fleece, I leaned the seat back as my eyes started to flutter shut and sleep overcame me.

________________________________________________

Oh my gosh it has been so long since I have updated and I'm truly sorry about that. I've just lost interest and it's hard to get back into the swing of things.