Chapter 1

*Sierra's POV*

I swiped my dark brown hair out of my face as I grabbed a leather lead rope off a stall. It was 6 am and I had to bring in the horses that were going to take our five new guests out on the trails.

"Red!" I called into the morning darkness. "Come here boy!"

Where is that crazy horse? just as I was thinking that I heard hooves pounding the ground. There's my baby, I smiled to myself as he came cantering over the hill and to the gate where I was waiting. He had grass stains on his front white sock and some mud caked on his rump but other than that, was pretty clean.

Red is my chestnut Quarter horse cross gelding. My dad bought him for my 5th birthday and we have been inseparable ever since. I had even taught him tricks, like how to bow, which really impressed the guests. But anything could impress those people.

"Come on, boy." I said, to the feisty horse as he pawed at the ground. He probably wanted to go for our usual morning run but seeing as we had guests coming, we couldn't. "We gotta go meet the new city slickers today."

My family owned a dude ranch in rural Montana. City slickers that wanted the cowboy experience could come and ride horses and take roping classes and lots of other stuff. I, unfortunately, had to take a group on a trail ride today. Mom said somethin' about it being a group of 5 guys with no horse experience. No biggie.Our five bombproof trail horses could take care of them out on the trail.

I put Red in his stall and headed back out to the pasture and decided to grab Chip, Mohawk, Valentine, Sweetheart, and Rookie Cookie. They were probably the safest horses we have on the property. I had even started to learn how to ride on Chip before I had Red, thats how much my dad trusted him. Once they were all in a stall I decided I had enough time to grab somethin to eat.

When I got within 20 feet I heard yelling. My brothers were probably done with their chores and were now inside arguing over the last pancake. You see, I have five older brothers and I'm the only girl so I guess you could say I'm a bit of a tomboy.

"Tommy! It's mine!" I could hear my brother Cody scream. I don't get why they had to fight so much. It got old real fast.

"No! I saw it first!" yelled Tommy. When I look through the screen door they were both standing at the kitchen table arguing. I knew exactly how to solve this, I smiled deviously. I kicked my boots off outside on the porch and placed my Stetson on the bench. This would be easy.

I flung open the door, dashed inside and grabbed the pancake. The dogs would love this treat. Cody just stared like I was insane and Tommy pretty much already knew what was gonna happen. Our six dogs were scattered across the kitchen floor so I tore it up and tossed it to 'em. They gobbled that up so fast I didn't even think that I saw them chew.

"Sierra! What was that for?!" They both yelled at the same time. I just laughed.

"You guys were fightin' over a stupid pancake and I thought the poor puppies looked hungry."

They just grumbled and put their plates in the sink.

"Wheres Austyn, Ty, and Chris?" I asked. I was missing three older brothers... This couldn't be good.

"I think they said they were going on a ride before the new guests came. Wanted to work the kinks out of their horses for the rodeo on Saturday." Oh, thats right! We had all entered the barrel racing competition at the local rodeo. It didn't matter how hard they tried, me and Red would smoke 'em. We always won, no matter who entered against us.

"Oh yeah, and mom said the new guests would be coming at 9 so have the horses ready at 8:45. She also said somethin about them being from England but I wasn't really listening." said Cody.

I looked over at the clock and it was 7:30 now. No sweat. I could have the horses tacked up by then.

"Ok." I grabbed and apple from the fruit basket and headed back outside, slipped on my boots and hat. This day should be quite interesting.