𝐄𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

April 23rd, 1985

April 23rd, 1985

Emptiness had accompanied me throughout each phase of my life. During high school I felt alone because I had no one to depend on besides Evelyn, but sometimes even she couldn't be there for me.

During my college years I never bothered to make friends because my ex husband would always throw a hissy fit when I would mention another name of a person who wasn't him.

In the midst of my marriage was when I felt the most empty. I couldn't get a job because there were no openings for a teaching position, so I resulted to being a temporary homemaker which made me feel miserable.

Then after my annulment was final, I was happy but another part of me wished I was still married. The true emptiness hadn't been filled until I started in the detention room when I met Billy.

The void inside had then been filled to the brim the more time we would spend together. The fuzzy, warm feeling in my chest made everything seem more unrealistic when he would graze his fingers against my skin or when he would say my name in his deep, seasoned voice.

Although the painful guilt for choosing to push him away instead of working things out nipped at me relentlessly along with the occasional thought of being caught, however, it was all temporary but beautiful.

My heels clicked against the polished floors of the school. I stared absentmindedly with a frown on my lips and a heart that was empty, but heavy at the same time. My face felt drained of any color but it was very undetectable with my makeup covering every blemish that anyone could see.

I never took notice to the kids who were starting to pour into the school hallways to begin the day. There was no interest after all of mine was wasted on Billy Hargrove.

I no longer cared.

With my bag strung over my shoulder, ready for the day, I found myself standing in front of my classroom door.

I paused when I was about to grab the doorknob with some familiar hope of Billy being inside just waiting for me to walk in.

My heart danced at the thought but when I was welcomed to the well-known scent of vanilla bean my face fell.

I stared at the dark and empty classroom before flicking the light switch on, feeling let down at the sight.

Still, nothing.

Disappointment became a common friend to me along with emptiness. The feeling invaded my thoughts the second I walked the rest of the way in.