𝐓𝐰𝐨

After I stepped foot into the entryway of the school, I was bombarded by my coworker, Evelyn Peters

After I stepped foot into the entryway of the school, I was bombarded by my coworker, Evelyn Peters. She was the head librarian at Hawkins High School for as long as I could remember. She was there even when my parents went back in the late 50's. Lately, she's been talking nonstop about her retirement coming to an end like its the highlight of her career. Unfortunately for me, I was only starting out while she was months from finishing.

"Kristal," Evelyn sang, smiling while she leaned against my shoulder.

"Evelyn," I sang in return and continued walking towards my classroom.

"One more month until I'm finally done with this place." The librarian said in an excited tone as she walked at my side.

"Don't get your hopes up. Maybe something will happen and they'll terminate your retirement date." I chuckled.

"Oh, nonsense." Evelyn scoffed then muttered. "It's not like I'm gonna drop dead or change my mind."

"Evelyn," I said in a warning tone.

"I know. Just shut up." She told herself then rolled her eyes.

Our conversation carried on as we headed to my classroom. When I opened the door, I was greeted with the comforting smell of books and vanilla bean essence. I flicked on the lights and walked towards my desk to sit my tote underneath.

"Guess who I saw this weekend." Evelyn said, impatiently.

I raised my eyebrows at her, silently telling her to spill it.

"Andrew Taylor, who teaches at the middle school, was with Tracy Blake." She explained.

My face perked up at the mention of fresh gossip. "Wait, Tracey from the main office?" I asked.

"Yeah!" Evelyn vigorously nodded her head.

"How did that happen?" I scoffed a laugh.

"Andrew's son, John, got in trouble with the principal." She said, bluntly. "Remember that food fight on Friday?"

I groaned. "How could I forget? I got spaghetti on my favorite sweater. It was ruined."

"Don't forget about the cream puff in your hair."

I gave her a wide stare, silently telling her to never mention it again. She understood by nodding her head and clearing her throat.

"Anyways, that was him who started it, and, yes, that's how Tracy and Andrew met, if you don't believe me."

I rolled my eyes at her short story that she was explaining to me.