𝐒𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧

April 18th, 1985

April 18th, 1985

After school finally came and I was dreading the long hours of being dragged through the muck of homework and rhetorical questions.

Was I really wanting to be in charge of detention when Billy was in there? Not really, but I had to since I made a promise to the principal and stuck to it.

I gathered my things from behind my desk and headed towards the door with them. Once making it out of my classroom I saw a figure standing outside in the hallway with the other kids, who were more than eager to go home. Noticing the height of the person I recognized them as Steve.

"Kristal," He started. "You're still doing detention later, are you?"

I furrowed my eyebrows at him. "Yeah?" I said more in the form of a question. "Why?"

He pouted out his bottom lip slightly and nodded weakly. "Okay. I'm heading over to Dustin's place, so don't wait up if I'm late."

"Isn't Dustin, like, twelve?" I questioned.

"Actually he's fourteen, so?" He shrugged.

Since Steve was acting casually calm I decided that what was his doing wasn't any of my business. Instead of being nosy I ignored the feeling and shrugged back to him.
"Alright." I said, taking a deep breath. "Just don't be too late. It's a school night."

"Sure." Steve nodded again. He turned to walk away but while he walked he spoke. "Same goes for you. I don't want you out all night with those troublemakers."

"Very funny." I muttered, watching him walk to the exit.

Once he was out of my sight I weaved my way through the sea of high school students towards the detention room. I passed the library and peered in to see what Evelyn was up to but then I remembered that she hosted a book club with a few students on Wednesdays, so I merely carried on.

As I made my way back the hall that was once crowded with students I saw they were now dispersing towards the exits. After they left I realized I was alone in the hallway until I got to my door.

I opened it and entered the dull, musty classroom. I left the door open so any of the students could walk in but after going to my desk and reading the attendance sheet, I saw that it would just be me and Billy for the evening.

How quaint.

I placed my stuff behind the desk and awaited for my student to arrive. After waiting five minutes I realized that sitting in silence was practically killing my mind. So to pass the time I reached into my bag and grabbed my Seaflame book.