𝐓𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞

Exhaustion was what I felt the second I closed the book to the story I was reading to my last class

Exhaustion was what I felt the second I closed the book to the story I was reading to my last class. I had five minutes until my students were to be let out and they were more than ready to leave. So to distract them for a few minutes, I decided to bring up a debate to engage their young minds.

I read the last page of Frankenstein to demonstrate what they will be working with.

" 'But soon,' he cried, with sad and solemn enthusiasm, 'I shall die, and what I now feel be no longer felt. Soon these burning miseries will be extinct. I shall ascend my funeral pile triumphantly, and exult in the agony of the torturing flames. The light of that conflagration will fade away; my ashes will be swept into the sea by the winds. My spirit will sleep in peace; or if it thinks, it will not surely think thus. Farewell.' "

I glanced at my students as they stared at me in interest.

"He sprung from the cabin-window, as he said this, upon the ice-raft which lay close to the vessel. He was soon borne away by the waves and lost in darkness and distance."

I slowly closed the book in my hands and watched as their faces fell with mixed emotions. Mostly frustration.

"That's it?" I heard one of my honor students scoff. "That's what happens at the end? You've gotta be kidding me!"

"Why're you all not happy with the ending?" I questioned while a smug smile took part of my face.

"Because Doctor Frankenstein dies. That's no way for a man like him to go. It's totally unfair." One of the other students complained.

"I'm sorry but I think you're wrong for many reasons." I retorted causing the rest of the class to erupt in argues and complaints. "In a way he was the monster."

That last part didn't settle with them too well. In fact, they just continued to argue over the small topic.

"Hey! Hey!" I called out to them. "Settle down! We're not at a baseball game." I said, trying to cool down their attitudes.

"What if you're wrong, Mrs Faith?" A student questioned me.

I felt like I was slapped in the face at the mention of my former marital name. I kept silent but one of my students spoke up which ignited a spark in my chest.

"Miss Harrington's never wrong when it comes to books. She tells it how it's written, smart one." One barked back in defense.

I gave everyone a small smile and shook my head in disbelief at how hooked these kids are on books. It was dangerously amusing.
"Do you really wanna know the reason why I think I'm right?" I questioned my class.