Chapter 19

Azumi could tell something was wrong.

The foreboding sense she had had since earlier was there again, and it was at its worst. She was so worried that she felt sick to the stomach, and she couldn't stop herself from visibly shaking. She stayed strong, smiling through the speeches and compliments of the soldiers and sea girls. However, Azumi could not get over the feeling that she had to be somewhere else. And that's exactly what she did, run. Azumi ran through the streets like she never had before, her feet picking up dirt and hair flickering behind her like a whip as she ran with everything she had. This meant she didn't have enough time to stop and was why she was almost sent barrelling into Soo-won.

"Soo-won?" She asked in surprise, only to be ignored by the blonde. He walked right past her without even the slightest of acknowledgement, and that was when Azumi's world began to crumble. She ran out around the corner to find Jae-ha and Kija standing close to Hak, who's back was towards Azumi. Yona was holding his hand, looking calm in contrast to the frightened expression of Kija and Jae-ha. Azumi knew that she should not appear, but right now she wanted to be with Hak and desperately hoped that he wanted to see her too.

"Hak!" Azumi cried, running over. She watched as his whole body flinched, and she had enough time to skid to a stop before running straight into the blade pointed at her throat. Hak stared down at her from behind the length of his Guan-dao, pure unadulterated rage reeking off his entire being. Azumi had never seen him this angry before, and for the first time in a long time, she felt genuine fear. To be a soldier, your mind had to be numbed of fear, and you have to fearlessly charge into battle.

Nothing could have prepared her for Hak's rage.

"You, you're working with Soo-won, aren't you!?" Hak spat, his whole form trembling from anger. Azumi watched with perfect clarity as his hands tensed and clenched around the shaft of his weapon, so much so that his knuckles turned a ghostly white. She watched as his jaw clenched, his muscles straining from the harsh movement as he bit back his anger.

"Hak-" Yona began, only to be stopped by Jae-ha. The green-haired male wanted nothing more than to jump in and save Azumi, but somehow, he knew that it was impossible. If he made a step anywhere near Azumi, Hak would be so blinded by rage that he would also be in danger. Yona might have been an exception, but he wouldn't dare risk it. A tense silence stretched out across the village, the dark dragon and the happy hungry bunch all pooling together to watch worriedly.

"Answer me, Azumi! How many more secrets are you keeping!?" Hak roared, his blade poking into the first layer of skin in the centre of her throat. Yona cried out in horror, but Jae-ha continued to hold her back with a dark grimace on his face, the same expression covering the Dragon's and Yoon's face. Azumi continued to stare with a monotonous expression, returning Hak's glare with a levelled gaze that portrayed not even an ounce of emotion.

"Answer me, dammit!" Hak Roared, rearing the blade up above his head before swinging it at Azumi with as much strength as his body could muster. Azumi was alive in seconds, stepping back and watching as the tip of the blade whistled past her eyes by millimetres. A growl escaped Hak, and he pulled his Guan Dao back into a poised position. A sad smile stretched across Azumi's face before she leaned down and slid the dagger out of her shoe.

Once she had straightened, Azumi hesitated for a moment as she studied the sinister glint of the blade. She was well aware of the damage even a dagger could do, however with a glance at Hak and his fogged gaze, Azumi knew that she would have to fight with all she had. Seeing this resolution in her eyes, Hak braced himself and their friends winced as they realised that this really would happen.

"Azumi-" Jae-ha began uncertainly, stepping forward to intervene. He was promptly ignored as Azumi's foot dragged back through the dirt, pulling into a defensive position. Azumi knew that she was at a major disadvantage with mere daggers against the huge blade of a Guan Dao, however, she knew Hak better than anyone else. He needed to attack something, and they needed to keep up. If Azumi died, he would only feel worse. Hak moved into an offensive position and stayed there, poised for action while staring intently at Azumi. His eyes glinted and then he charged forward, attacking as hard and fast as he could. The two became a blur of movements, Azumi keeping up with him with ease but struggling to deflect his hefty blows. Blow after to blow was blocked or dodged, Azumi slowly being pushed back to avoid getting too close to him.