Chapter Twenty Five

Oooh, getting near the end now!  Please read the authors note at the end, thanks xx

Chapter Twenty Five

Sherlock

I looked at John, his face looked how I felt; scared. Jo was covered in blood, holding her stomach and leg,looking up at us in pain.

"We need to get her to a hospital." John said quickly, moving to pick her up. I helped him and together, we made our way to the hospital - which thankfully was a minute walk away once we'd gotten out from underground. I didn't even acknowledge the stares people gave us as we practically ran through the street, I just couldn't care. We burst into the hospital and by the time we'd reached the desk, we were already surrounded by doctors and nurses. Without speaking to us, the took Jo out of our arms and carried her into a room. I started to walk in after her when a nurse stopped me.

"I'm sorry, no unorthorised personnel in the operation studio." She said in a stuck up voice; I wanted to punch her. I scowled and muttered an expletive before turning on my heel and walking over to John, who was sitting in a chair rubbing his temples. I sat down beside him angrily, making the row of chairs wobble. John sighed.

"Do you think she'll be ok?" He asked quietly. I didn't respond, I didn't even know. "I don't know much about miscarriages," he continued, "but I think the baby's dead." He looked at the ground. I hoped he was wrong, maybe they could do a special surgery that'll save her and the baby...God, I hate being so useless!!! I stood up and paced anxiously, glancing up at the door occassionally.

For the five hundreth time I stormed up to the reception desk, and banged my fist on the side.

"Why is it taking so long?! We've been here an hour, surely she should be out by now!" I shouted at the receptionist, who looked as though she wanted to die right about now.

"I...I'm sorry sir. I d...don't know." I scoffed and walked away again, bumping into Rick. What's he doing here?

"Where is she? Is she ok?" He asked worredly. I looked at John who looked at the floor quickly. Ah, so John called him. I walked past Rick and sat back down without answering his question. She's been in surgery an hour, of course she's not bloody ok.

"She's in surgery." John muttered, burying his head in his hands. Rick groaned and sat down next to John.

"What the hell happened?" he demanded.

"She was with us and-" I began explaining but of course, Rick cut me off.

"Why didn't you help her then!?" he shouted angrily, scowling at me. I returned his scowl trying not to punch the idiot.

"We did." I said through gritted teeth.

"Well you didn't do a very good job." he retorted sitting back in his seat.

"Sir?" We all turned around to see the nurse standing in front of us uncomfortably.

"What?" we replied in unison, all with annoyed voices.

"Miss Williams is out of surgery, you may see her now." She said quietly, slowly inching away as we all stood up at the same time.  She directed us to the small room a little down the hall, then walked away.  Rick marched off into the room, followed by John.  I hung back a little, not sure if I really wanted to see this.  I mean, I don't know what happens with a miscarridge.  John poked his head back out of the door, confusion written across his face.

"Er, Sherlock?  You'd better come in here...." He trailed off, nodding his head for me to follow.  I sighed, before trudging in. 

To my surprise, Jo was sitting upright in bed, smiling at us.  The strangest thing though was her stomach was as big as ever...surely after a miscarridge, your stomach shrinks if the baby's not in there anymore?  Rick was fussing over her, whilst John and I just stared at them, dumbfounded. 

"Are you ok...?" Jo asked quietly, one eyebrow raised.  She was probably wondering why we were standing here gawping at her like idiots. 

"Uh, yeah, just confused." I admitted, looking at John who's face was still flooded with confusion.  Jo frowned.

"About what?" She tilted her head to the side. 

"Uh, didn't you have a miscarridge?" John asked, finally plucking up the courage to speak.  Jo blinked and frowned.

"Uh, no." she said as if it were obvious.

"But what about all the blood?" I asked her, at the same time John did.  Jo moved her covers to show a large bandage from her knee up her thigh to her hip. 

"Jerk cut me on the rock when he hit me." She explained, referring to the Golem.  Oh, so the blood was from that...well, that's a relief.  Rick's phone beeped, making him scowl.  He smiled apologetically  at Jo before walking out the room to answer his phone.  I descretely moved closer to the door to eavesdrop, and thankfully no-one noticed because Jo was chatting to John.

"Yeah...fine...golem...no...ok...bye Linda." I managed to catch a few words of his conversation.  Linda?  Who the hell was Linda?  Was Rick cheating on Jo?  I quickly stepped away from the door as Rick disconnected the call and walked in.  He glanced nervously at me as if he knew I was listening, but he quickly walked away.  I noticed John staring at me, confused so I beckoned him to come outside. 

"We'll be back in a minute, Jo." I told her.  She frowned but nodded, obviously not wanting us to go.  John sighed and followed me outside of the room.

"What's going on?" He asked, sounding as though he didn't actually care.

"Who's Linda?" I asked quickly, searching his face for any recognition of that name - there was none. 

"Linda?" His face creased into a frown so I knew he had no idea.

"I heard Rick on the phone talking to a woman called Linda.  He may be cheating on Jo." I paused. "I'm going to tell her." I announced, and started to wlak back in but John grabbed my arm and pulled me back.

"No, Sherlock, you can't do that.  It'll crush her." He told me warningly.  How would it crush her?

"No, it's kind.  It's better than letting their relationship go too far and Jo finding out herself." I told him, trying to pull my arm out of his death grip.

"No, it is not kind.  Their relationship is already serious, you don't even know who this Linda is." I opened my mouth to protest but he carried on. "No, Sherlock.  Just drop it." He said harshly, letting go of my arm and walking back into the room.  I scowled at him before reluctantly following.

Three hours later, Jo was discharged.  The doctors wanted to keep her longer but she insisted she was fine. They'd run some tests on the baby, because they were worried about it's health after being punched by the Golem.  However, the punch wasn't a direct hit, so it seemed like the baby was fine.  Jo was walked with crutches, much to her annoyance but the doctors said either use the crutches, or stay in hospital - she chose the first option. 

When we got back to 221B, mrs Hudson was fussing over Jo, which annoyed her but she tried not to show it.  Rick's phone rang, and he announced her had to leave for work, which clearly upset Jo.  He's really not a great boyfriend, he spends about half an hour with his girlfriend before leaving for work-related phone calls.  He kissed Jo goodbye and left, making Jo sigh and slouch on the sofa.  John smiled apologetically at her and looked at me, a knowing look on his face.  He was coming around to the fact that Rick was cheating on Jo, but he still denied it.  I sat down in my chair and flicked on the TV, I needed a distraction - I was getting very paranoid about Rick.  One things for sure, I was definitely going to do something about it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys, I'm really sorry for the long wait, I've been really ill.  Stupid virusses.  I hope you liked this chapter.  So the baby's fine :)  I got loads of comments from people who thought the baby was dead, not naming any names...*coughs, Frances, coughs* Anyway, I know I said upploads should be quick but I'm on holiday in a week and then I have my mock exams, so they take priority.  I'll try to upload at least once more before my holidays though, no promises.   Anyhoo, vote and comment if you liked xxxx  I also want your ideas on what happens with Rick :D