Chapter One

Chapter One

Jo POV 

One word lingered in my mind repeatedly; late. Late late late late late, oh my god I'm never gonna get this job if I don't hurry up! I sighed impatiently from the back seat of the taxi and eyed the driver angrily.

"Look, can you please just hurry up?" I asked him, a little too aggresively. He tilted his head around a smidge and I swear I saw him smirk. Just to annoy me, he slowed his pace down to 30 miles per hour...in a 60 mile an hour zone!!!! "Oh for the love of god..." I opened the door, forcing him to stop the taxi. Stepping out, I ignored the many curses he threw my way. I've never heard such a...colourful vocabulary. Kicking the door shut, I ran towards the pavement sheltering myself from the downpouring rain. I could barely see! I guess that explains why I crashed straight into a man holding a large umbrella. "Oof! God, I'm so sorry." I looked up at the man in front of me and blushed furiously. Damn you cheeks! He raised one eyebrow at me and frowed.

"That's ok." His voice sounded slightly nasally with definatly goes with his appearence. From a glance, I could tell that he was in a very high up position, most likely for the government. His suit must cost a fortune....and now he's staring at me with a snooty face. I frowned.

"What?" I snapped, clearly annoyed that he was staring. He blinked innocently.

"You haven't spoken for," He checked his watch, "two and a half minutes." I blushed again, dammit cheeks!

"I'm very sorry, I, er better go-" He held a hand up to silence me, I raised an eyebrow.

"221 B Baker street? I thought so, yes..." He shook his head slowly then looked up. "I will pay you ten thousand pounds to watch Sherlock Holmes and report back to me." He smiled, whilst taking his check book out. He stepped forwards, and I instinctively stepped back.

"I don't think so." I glanced behind me to see the door of 221B open, and out stepped a tall man in a long coat. He had a mop of curly brown hair that bounced when he walked down the steps. His gaze shot in our direction and he frowned at the man standing by me.

"Mycroft!" He shouted angrily at the man next ot me, making me jump slightly. "Why are you here?" His deep voice questioned Mycroft. I stepped back, allowing the two men some space. Mycroft sighed deeply.

"I was just leaving." He turned to me "Think about what I said, ten thousand is a lot of money for such a small deed." He whispered so only I could hear. Before I could respond, a sleek black car pulled up by the roadside and he slid into it and drove away. I turned around and the man was already striding back towards 221B. I quickly hurried after him, thankful that the rain was letting up. I hopped up the steps and quickly followed him inside.

"Ok, up here is the main room...and if you ever need to use a computer, John's is here. He doesnt mind...well, actually he does but that doesnt matter." I followed Sherlock through the rest of the rooms until we came to a small empty one. "And this is you." He gestured to the room. It had the same green wallpaper as the main room did and the carpet was cream without a single stain on it. I nodded and then turned back to Sherlock, slightly confused. "Thanks, but I thought I was coming for an interview?" Sherlock smiled then walked back into the main room, gesturing me to follow. He sat in a large chair and I sat opposite.

"Ok, here's the interview." He eyed me for a few moments before smiling slightly as if he just had some private victory. "Why did you leave your farm in Cornwall?" I frowned.

"Excuse me?"

"The question was simple enough, why did you leave your farm in Cornwall?" He tilted his head. I shook my head in disbelief.

"How did you know I came from a farm in Cornwall?" I challenged him. Sherlock took a deep breath and then....

"Your leg, there are small flecks of mud up you right leg, that shows that you have been in an area with high levels of mud otherwise you wouldnt have gottne mud all up your leg." He paused and I quickly brushed off all the mud on my right leg, embarrassed. Sherlock continued, "And the smell you brought in, is obviously from a farm-"

"What?" I cut in. Sherlock blinked, obviously annoyed that I cut in.

"The smell, it is like fresh hay, plants and a little cow manure." He stated. I stood up angry.

"I do not smell like cow cra-" I shouted at him angrily when an elderly woman walked in.

"Sherlock, dear. Be polite, you know you shouldn't talk to young ladies like that." She told him dissapporvingly. Huh, I like her already.

"Oh do shut up mrs Hudson, I'm only speaking the truth." I glared at him. He sighed and raised his hands "Calm down, it isn't that bad. Now, about the job.."

I frowned "That's the interview over?"

Sherlock shook his head "No, I said now for the job. You have to listen.." he tapped his ear in a patronizing manner. "You have any experience in assistant work? I'm a private consulting detective, the one the police come to when they're out of their depth-which is always, and I am in need of another assistant. I already have one, he's called John but it would be better if I had two...that is where you come in." He pauses "What do you say?"

I smiled a little "Er, sure. I'll do my best." I looked at Sherlock then frowned as he wrinkled his nose slightly in disgust.

"If it's bothering you, I'll go back to my hotel room and take a shower!" I said, exasperated. As I stood to leave, Sherlock called me back.

"Why go to a hotel room? Bathroom's straight down the corridor, first left." he said, pointing to a door. I frowned, confused.

"Im sorry?" I asked, not understanding...why would I have a shower here? I don't live here...Sherlock sighed.

"I said, bathrooms straight-" he began repeating.

"Yes yes I heard that bit! why would I shower here?"  

Sherlock put his hand in his pocket and threw a small object at me. Instinctively, I caught it. In my hand was a small key...

"Its a key to the apartment...your apartment - its easier to have my assistants living close to me - unless you don't want to." Sherlock explained.

"No, this is great. Thanks." I said smiling. I turned and headed to the bathroom, pretty pleased - a job AND an apartment in the same day!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know it's not very long but I just wanted to get her moved in quickly :) What did you think? Please comment and vote x