Chapter Four - The Mysterious Man

Hey guys!  I got quite excited writing this chapter becasue I know what happens next :D  Please comment and vote xxxx

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter Four

“Sherlock?!”  I shouted from the kitchen, my head still in the empty fridge.  I pulled out of the fridge and shut the door, then turned to see a short man standing in the main room staring at me with a puzzled expression on his face.  I returned that expression before moving around the kitchen slowly, my hands searching for something to arm myself with as this small man had an angry look on his face.  My hand clasped around a long hard object that I hope was something strong enough to harm him if he tried anything.  When he took a step into the kitchen and asked, “Who the heck are you?” I pointed the object that I grabbed, which turned out to be a silicone spatula, at him he put his hands up and chuckled slightly.  “Ok, easy there.” He took a step back to make himself look less threatening, and I put down the spatula, still not comfortable with the whole situation.  I tried to slip around him and out of the kitchen when he stepped to the side and blocked my exit with his hand.  “You’re not going anywhere until you tell me who you are and why you’re in my apartment.” His voice was now stern.  I took a step back and scoffed.

            “Your apartment?  I’m sorry, sir, but this is not your apartment.  You must be mistaken-” I was interrupted when Sherlock walked in-between me and the other man. 

            “John, we need food.” He said bluntly before flopping down onto the sofa and closing his eyes.  I frowned and looked at him.

            “Sherlock?  Who’s John?” I asked him, only to be pulled back by the other man.

            “I’m John.  Now who are you?” He asked me, exasperated that I wouldn’t answer him.  So this was the elusive John, I wonder why he hasn’t been around.  I mean, I’ve been living at this apartment for about five days now and I hadn’t seen him until now.  Strange.  Maybe he’s secretly a spy and has been hiding undercover….jeez, I read far too many spy novels.  John snapped me out of my thoughts when he cleared his throat impatiently, and I realised that I still hadn’t answered his question. 

            “Oh, sorry.  I’m Jo.  Jo Williams.” I smiled and extended my hand, which he shook cautiously.   I doubt he knew that he had just acquired a new roommate. 

            “Oh, and she lives here know John.” Sherlock very helpfully pointed out to the small man in front of me.  John nodded in acknowledgment.

            “It was nice meeting you miss Williams.” He smiled then walked over to his laptop and groaned.  “Sherlock, you’ve been on my laptop again.” He scanned through his files quickly to check that Sherlock hadn’t messed any files up.  “How did you get in?  It’s password protected…” John mumbled half to Sherlock, half to himself.  Sherlock rolled over to face us, his eyes still shut.

            “Yours was easy to guess, John.  Not exactly Fort Knox.” He yawned.  “Besides, mine was upstairs and Mrs Hudson refused to get it for me.  She said something about laziness and whatever.” He yawned again before rolling off the sofa and towards the Cluedo board.  However, John intercepted him and leapt towards the board. 

            “NO!” He pulled the board away and threw it into the bathroom before locking the door.  He took a deep breath and walked back into the room. “We are not playing that again.”

            “Why?” Sherlock protested but John cut him off.

            “Because it isn’t possible for the victim to have committed the murder.” John told him sternly. 

            “It’s the only possibility-”

            “It’s not in the rules-”

            “THEN THE RULES ARE WRONG!” Sherlock shouted at John.  I covered my mouth to stop myself from laughing.  They were fighting over a game…I shook my head slightly, Boys. 

            “Well, you two stay here and continue your argument over a petty little board game while I go out to get us some food.” I said whilst standing up and dusting off my jeans.  I grabbed my purse and quickly stepped outside, but not before I heard John lecturing Sherlock about not shooting the wall out of boredom. 

I groaned as I scanned the almost barren isles for some milk.  I mean, how hard is it to just buy some milk around here?  I sighed angrily when a large guy shoved past me, knocking me into fishmonger’s till. 

            “Hey!” I shouted at him, whilst doing my best to wipe the fish stink off my clothes.  The man kept walking, and his shoulders bounced slightly as if he was chuckling.  I frowned angry and stormed over to him.  “Hey.” I prodded him hard on the shoulder, making him stop in his tracks.  He turned round on his heel and stared down at me.  I shrunk back slightly, a little scared of his height and intense stare.  I could see that he was well built, and could easily tear me apart. 

            “What did you say?” His husk voice almost growled at me.  My face wrinkled at the smell of alcohol that leaked from his mouth which made him chuckle.  I scoffed at him and tried to push past when he grabbed me by both my shoulders and pressed me hard against the wall.  I yelped but before any sound escaped, he clasped one hand around my mouth.  The more I struggled, the harder he held me, but that didn’t stop me from doing what I did next.  I kicked him hard in the crotch which made him bend over in pain.  This gave me the chance I needed; I ran as fast as I could towards the main doors.  Come on, I can make it…20 feet….15 feet…10 feet…5 feet-

            “Aa-” The man grabbed my waist and pulled be back, throwing me to the floor.  My breath hitched as he loomed over me, then he pulled me up to my feet by my wrist.  I punched him in the face when he caught my hand and twisted my wrist causing me to cry out in pain.  However, his other hand was still clasped around my mouth so no-one heard my scream.  When one woman walked past, he pulled me up against him and started talking to me as if I was his girlfriend, to cover-up his attack on me.  When I eventually stopped struggling, he leaned in close to my ear and whispered hoarsely, “If you carry on working with Sherlock, I will just have to kill you as well...oh and if you tell anyone about me, I will kill Sherlock and make you watch.” He chuckled darkly before throwing me into the isle of cutlery and jogging out of the store. 

I made it back to 221B Baker Street, bleeding and bruised.  The mysterious man had left me in the store bleeding, which was relatively embarrassing as everyone kept staring at me.  I opened the door and hobbled up the stairs, walking past Mrs Hudson who nearly dropped her tea tray upon seeing my state.

            “Oh god, what happened my dear?” She came over to me and helped me into the main room. 

            “I, er, tripped and fell onto the curb.” I said, remembering the man’s threat to kill Sherlock.  Mrs Hudson nodded understandingly. 

            “Don’t you worry; I’ll fix you up some bandages.” She hobbled into the kitchen and I smiled slightly.  She was a very nice woman.  Sherlock walked over and sat beside me, his eyes staring into mine.  I shifted uncomfortably then realised he was doing his strange looking thing where he could tell anything about me.  I instantly looked away when he drew back slightly. 

            “Why did you lie to Mrs Hudson?  You didn’t fall.” He said bluntly. 

            “What?  Yes I did.” I defended and stood up.  “If you’ll excuse me, I’m going to rest.” I hobbled to my room and locked the door, before falling onto my bed. 

            “What do I do?  What do I do?” I groaned into my pillow.  There wasn’t anything I could do…