Chapter Twenty

Hello!  I just wanted to say thanks to all of you who have been sticking with my lousy story, I really appreciate it :)  This chapter is a turning point so I hope you likeit :) x

Chapter Twenty

Jo

Just get it over with, you have to tell him.  He has a right to know...or does he?  No, maybe I shouldn't tell him...but I have to, or do I? I mentally argued with myself over whether or not I should tell Rick I'm pregnant.  However, my time to decide was cut short as Rick entered the cafe.  He walked straight over to me smiling.  He leant down to give me a kiss before sitting opposite me.

"So, you ok?  You sounded kind of weird on the phone." Rick said, nervously running his hand through his hair.  I smiled slightly, my gaze wandering down to the floor.

"Um, yeah.  I just need to, er, tell you something..." I trailed off, looking up at him.  Oh god, here it goes...I took a deep breath and, without breaking eye contact, I told him. "Rick, I'm pregnant." I said quietly.  I watched him to see his reaction, but he said nothing.  His eyes were fixed on mine, and showed no emotion.  I frowned, trying to read him but he stayed blank.   "Rick?  You heard me right?" I asked nervously.  That seemed to snap him back to reality.

"I, yeah you, um I you when um no, I er..." He stuttered and I knew this relationship was over.  I mean, what was I expecting him to do?  Be excited and happy for me?  I sighed, and looked down at the floor.  I heard Rick's chair move, so I knew he was going.

"I just remembered, I have to er be somewhere." He said quickly, looking at me weirdly.  Of course he had to be somewhere, what a lousy excuse.  "So um, bye." He walked out of the door quickly, without looking back.  Great. 

Rick

I walked quickly down the street, wanting to put as much distance between us as possible.  Pregnant!  SHE'S PREGNANT!  I mean, am I totally overreacting?  No, I'm not, she should have told me earlier!  We've been on four dates, pregnancy is somthing to say on the first date.  I slowed my pace slightly, mentally deciding if I should go back there.  No, she's pregnant.  That means she's had a previous boyfriend and they should try to work it out, for the child's sake, I decided. 

As I was about to cross the road, a sleek black car pulled up beside me.  A tall blonde woman in her mid thirties walked out towards me.

"Get in the car, please." She said sweety.  I turned to see if she was talking to someone behind me, until I realised it was me she was speaking to.  I kept walkeding as if I hadn't seen her, a little bit worried.  However, the sound of a loaded gun made me freeze on the spot.

"Rick Jenkins get in the car.  Please." Her voice had a hint of impatience in it now, so cautiously, I made my way to the car and did as instructed.  She looked like an important woman, maybe working for the government or something?  I don't know, right know my brain is too messed up with information to think about what I'm doing. 

"My name is Linda." She looked at me as we got into the car.  "I believe you are dating miss Williams?" She said, making it more of a question than a statement.

"Who are you...are you a friend of Jo's?" I asked carefully, not trusting this woman.  Her face softened and she smiled.

"Yes, we're very good friends.  From college." She said quickly.  I nodded.

"Well, we're not together any more.  We broke up, you know, because of the pregnancy thing." i said, trailing off.  Linda froze in shock, then turned to glare at one of the guards sitting next to her...who seemed just as shocked.

"YOU IDIOT!" She practically screamed at him.  I flinched, wanting to be anywhere but here. 

"Um, can I please go?" I asked quietly.  Linda's head snapped to me as if she'd forgotton I was sitting there and she opened the door.  We hadn't even started driving.  I quickly got out of the car, but just before they shut the door, I heard Linda's voice again.

"YOU'RE A DAMN FATHER NOW JACOB!"

Sherlock

John walked into the lounge, and sat down opposite me, a look of slight confusion written across his face. 

"Sherlock, are you actually getting anywhere with that murder?" He asked.  Was I?  The true answer was no, I was stumped...but I wasn't going to tell John that now was I? 

"Yes, actually, I'm meeting with Lestrade later to discuss further details." I lied, instantly regretting it.  Now I need to phone Lestrade to see if he's free.  Why couldn't I just admit I was stumped? 

John nodded just as the door opened.  I looked over to see Jo trudge in holding a shopping bag full of chocolate.  I raised an eyebrow at her asking her what's wrong.

"Told Rick I was pregnant." She said simply, and by the look on her face he didn't take it very well. 

"And he didn't take it well?" John asked, but he already knew the answer.  Jo shook her head.

"Dumped me." She shrugged as if it were nothing but i could see past it.  Recently, her mind seemed to be elsewhere, so she wasn't masking her feelings the way she used to ...this allowed me to read her.  She liked Rick, and he just left her because she was going to have a baby. 

She sat down on the sofa, and dug into a bar of chocolate.  John smiled sadly at her whilst I went back to reading the paper.  I heard John scoff at me but to be honest I really couldn't care less. 

"Sherlock?" Mrs Hudson's voice rang through the apartment, as she walked into the door.  Had she already seen me or did I have time to escape?  Her eyes locked onto me and I knew the answer.  John glared warningly at me, telling me to be nice. "Ah, Sherlock, this came in the post for you." She told me handing me a brown envelope before walking into the kitchen.  If it wasn't for the handwriting on the front, I would have discarded this mail without a second thought...but I recognised the handwriting.  I ran the envelope through my finger a few times, to check for any bombs however it was as thin as paper, so I carefully opened it.  Inside was a small handwritten letter, it read;

DEAREST SHERLOCK,

IT SEEMS I HAVE UNDERESTIMATED YOUR CAPABILITIES...AS YOU HAVE MINE.  I WOULD LOVE TO KNOW HOW YOU SURVIVED THAT FALL, AND I'M SURE YOU WOULD LIKE TO KNOW HOW I'M STILL HERE.  MEET ME AT YOU HOME AWAY FROM HOME, BART'S HOSPITAL AT 9PM TOMORROW.  DON'T BE LATE.

MORIARTY

P.S. REMEMBER, I O U (I owe you) A FALL SHERLOCK, SEEING AS YOU MISSED THE LAST ONE

XXX

I finished the letter, curiosity winning me over.  Really I should ignore this letter, and bolt shut all my windows and doors...but I wanted to know how he did it.  I was going to meet me should-be-dead-wants-to-kill-me-arch-enemy. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sooooo, what do you think?  Sorry for the long wait and short update, but thanks for reading!!  Comment and vote if you liked xxx