Chapter 23

>>> the pups huddled together ;)

---Jacob’s POV---

My eyes were focused on Paige’s stomach, an unconscious smile curling the edges of my lips when her skin rippled with movement. She didn’t respond to it though, save for a slight frown appearing on her face. I rubbed soothingly over her stomach, trying not to wake her.

Poor Paige, the pregnancy was growing harder and harder and I had a slight feeling one of the pups was more inclined to its werewolf heritage; the last few weeks had been filled with sleepless nights, the pups kicking in the middle of the night and growing extremely restless were telltale signs of a restless wolf pup ready to make its appearance.

I wondered how she had to deliver them though; mostly the females were in their wolf form during childbirth, since the pup itself was first born as a wolf pup. They shifted back after their first feeding and wouldn’t shift until their wolves sensed they were in danger. They only gained control over their wolf when they were somewhere in their teens.

Generally, it depended from kid to kid. But, what did that mean for our own pups? The rules didn’t apply to them, not exactly. I guess we’d had to see for ourselves, even Paige’s father couldn’t answer that question. So far there had only been parings between the different kinds of Soulshifters, never with any other shifter.

“Hmm.” I hummed softly and traced patterns over Paige’s extending stomach, chuckling to myself when one of the pups pushed up against my thumb, as if seeking attention. “Don’t wake up your mom little one, she needs her rest.” The bump nudged again before retreating a bit, following my hand.

“Cheeky little thing, aren’t you?” I joked and snorted when the bump suddenly kicked and then disappeared. Great, they weren’t even born yet and I had already hurt one of my kids’ feelings. I rubbed the spot one more time before I sighed, pushing myself on my elbow to look down on my mate.

My knuckles pressed in my jaw, mindlessly looking at Paige as I thought of the past few weeks. Several things had happened, both good and bad. For a start, the Hunters were disbanded and had been regrouped in the still forming Order. Creatures from over the whole world had been contacted and asked to choose representatives.

So far the Order was working fine, making decrees and agreements between all supernatural beings and already had sent Hunters out to look for any Drained left. Trustworthy hunters…some of them didn’t agree with the changes and were protesting vehemently. Luckily the cooperating Hunters vastly outnumbered the vengeful ones and had apprehended them before things ran out of hand.

Then there was the fact that part of the Witch clan was coming down to live here. After everything that happened, they wanted to protect the last of the Soulshifters and their legacy and chose to stay closer to the pack, so that they could come to our aid whenever it was necessary.

One of the bad things was that the Lucius’ mate wasn’t responding anymore. She fell into a depression and no longer reacted to the world, she simply watched it as time passed her by. The vampire king didn’t know for sure if she ever would snap out of it again.

A low growl rumbled through my chest but I quickly bit it off to make sure I didn’t wake my mate. With a last glance, I slowly pushed myself off of the bed and pressed a lingering kiss on her forehead, taking a deep breath of her unique fragrance underlined with that sweet spice and honey-like scent of the pregnancy.