Chapter 1

---Jacob’s POV---

I groaned and rubbed my hand over my neck while I stared at the map in front of me. We had decided to track Paige’s parents down, instead of going from sighting to sighting. I brushed the fold out of the map and looked at the list in my hand, checking if I had marked every town that had shifter activity in them.

A warm hand brushed across the width of my back, making the muscles there contract without a command. A smile tugged on my lips when I curled my arm around my mate’s waist and pulled her closer to me. “Who’s distracting who now huh?” I teased, placing a kiss on the side of her head.

Laughter filled the air around me while a warm feeling settled in my stomach. I really loved the sound of my mate’s laughter. Paige shook her head slightly while she peered at the map. “I just wanted to come take a look at your work.”

I placed a hand on my chest in mock-pain. “You didn’t even come down to see me? You’re cruel, baby girl.” She smiled and pecked my lips. “I’ll make it up to you.” She promised before she wriggled under my arm and stepped in front of me, looking at the map.

Her eyes scanned the map before she tapped on one particular spot. “Seems like mom and dad are fond of Canada…” I stepped forwards and looped m arms around her, nestling my head on her shoulder. “I’ve thought about it…the Boreal forest is large, full of wildlife and plenty of places to hide.”

Paige nodded again before she frowned slightly. When she didn’t say anything, I turned her around and put a finger under her chin to make her look up at me. “Hey, what’s wrong?” I asked while I looked worriedly at her expression.

“I’m scared Jacob.” She sighed before she glanced away from my face. “What if we don’t find them? What if we are too late? What if-“ I silenced her by placing my mouth on hers, coaxing her in a passionate kiss that removed all those doubts. Crowding her against the table, I reluctantly pulled away and leaned my forehead against her, watching her intently.

“Don’t bother with ‘What if’ Paige. It will only unnerve you more and more. If you worry too much about what could have been, you miss everything out on what is.” I pecked her lips again when they curled in a smile before she looked up. “I just knew you were a big softie at heart. Who knew you would like ‘Letters to Juliet’?”

I scoffed and looked up. “I did not. You forced me to watch that chick-flick.” Paige ran her hands over my chest before she flicked my nose. “Uh-huh.” She hummed while a smirk graced her lips. “That’s why you laughed so hard when Charlie fell of the branch?”

This time, I did crack a smile while I pulled away to roll the map up. “Maybe…” I trailed of, feeling her eyes resting on my back. “Okay, I admit, Charlie did have some good points.”

Paige blinked while I worked on clearing the table and stuffing everything that was needed in a set of bags. ”Like what?” She yelped when I spun around and pulled her flush against my body. “Like not being a fool like that idiot Romeo; if I wanted a woman, I wouldn’t stand there, staring up at the balcony. I’d just get up there and state my business.”