Chapter 7

---Paige’s POV---

I blinked, trying to progress what just happened. Some guy flew out of the forest, tried to attack my brother and his mate and Sean crashed against him, throwing him back in the green leaves.

“What the hell was that?” I heard myself say as everyone was on edge, eyes scanning the surroundings while the forest was deadly quiet. Sean growled lowly, eyes trained on the reddish gleam that blinked and disappeared in the blink of an eye.

“A Drained. And it’s in the move.” Everyone except the vampires had a confused look on their faces and Jacob growled when leaves rustled around the clearing as a sinister laugh echoed through the trees. It was a deep, gurgling sound, as if the man, thing was high or drunk.

“Care to explain what a Drained exactly is?” Jacob snapped before the thing jumped out of the trees and latched on Tyler’s shoulder blade. Tyler roared in pain before he shifted, bucking the man of his back as his teeth let go of Tyler’s flesh with a tearing sound. The Drained landed on its feet and dashed out of reach before it vanished in the shadows with another laugh.

“You okay man?” Nick asked as he checked Tyler’s wounds; two pinpricks in the crook of his neck that had torn open when the Drained was flung off his back. Tyler nodded, although he was in pain. Cian zipped next to Tyler, studying the wound before he nodded.

“It’s a Drained alright.” He turned towards us, making sure that his back was still aimed at the rest of the group. “A Drained is a newly made vampire, who has been exposed to the sun during the change. All the blood evaporates, causing an extreme amount of pain. Creating one is very hard since eight out of then vampires dies before they become drained.”

I shivered in disgust at that as my eyes strained to pick up the movement of the Drained. Jacob’s feelings flooded in me through our bond and I could feel his disgust for creating those…things.

We slowly backed up so our backs were to each other, making sure that the Drained couldn’t grab us from behind. “So why don’t we go after it? It’s…” I quickly looked around to count, “eleven against one. Couldn’t be that hard, right?”

Jacob nodded at that but Sean shook his head and discreetly tapped his temple. “They are as strong as an aged vampire but since they’re constantly bloodthirsty, their strength is multiplied. We have to lure it in because it will attack as it did before. Lunge, strike and retreat.”

Jacob let out a growl as the Drained swished through the clearing and stopped at a fair distance away. The vampire was really, really pale, his eyes stood manically as his eyes flashed constantly over the faces of our group. After a second, I realized that he was in fact looking at the pulses in our necks instead our faces. He swallowed several times before he smirked.

“Evening.” He stated with a bow, his movements jerky as if he didn’t have complete control over his body. “So many scents, so many scents….” He murmured to himself, glancing at the girls of our group with a look that could only be described as hunger. “ So many necks to taste…And so little time.” He sighed sadly, warily eying the males of our group.

Jacob growled possessively when the Drained glanced at me and took a step forwards so he stood slightly in front of me. The Drained laughed again with that sickly gurgling sound before he zipped away when Cian and Cary rushed towards him.