Chapter 12

---Unknown’s POV---

My nose twitched as I reared my head and looked over the dense forest before quickly scaling higher up the tree. Something was off, as if my instincts were warning me for upcoming danger. My yellow eyes scanned the horizon as I smelled a very feint smell in the air.

Vampires.

Leaping of the tree branch, I plunged down the trees and quickly shifted from my lemur to a harpy, flapping my wings to avoid crashing into the forest floor. My eyes narrowed before I flew rapidly towards the hills in the distance, where my sweet mate was waiting for me.

I called out as I flew over the hidden cave before landing on the small hole at the very top of the cave. As soon as my talons made contact with the hard rock, I shifted into a very slender rat snake and slithered in the entrance before dropping in the cave.

My mate’s entrancing bluish green eyes snapped up at me before she smiled, but that smile slipped of her face as she witnessed the worry that was etched in my face. Being on the run for almost all your life did that to you. My own eyes slipped towards the dark circles underneath her brilliant ones and I stepped forwards, sighing deeply as I brushed my thumbs softly over the darkened skin.

“You haven’t been sleeping good lately.” I murmured, watching her look away with a familiar emotion scurrying over her expression; guilt. My heart clenched slightly as I knew of what she was thinking. Our little girl.

“I keep seeing her eyes Michael. Every time I go to bed, I keep seeing her eyes looking up at me with confusion as to why we would leave her on her own.” She sobbed, burying her face in my chest as I held her tight, blinking rapidly in an attempt to keep my own tears from falling.

“Shh my love. She’ll understand eventually. We only left for her own safety and nothing else. We couldn’t risk that the Hunters would lay their hands on her. And now we have another problem.”

Serena looked up at me and whipped away her tears as her eyes silently asked what was wrong. I sighed again and let her go. “I’ve picked up a scent on our trail. They’re a few days away from us.”

“What are they? Hunters?” Serena asked as she quickly raked her eyes over my body to check for injuries before she clacked her tongue and motioned her hands over my knees, which were slightly swollen from landing quite harshly earlier today. The swollen tissue shrank back to its normal size when her lightly glowing hands brushed over it before she turned her eyes on me to give me a scolding look.

I shook my head, ignoring the look she gave me and replied, “No, Vampires. Seems like they too have learned about our existence.” I looked at the crevice above our heads and sighed slightly. “I guess we’ll have to move again.”

Serena nodded slowly before looking up with a glint in her eyes. “Why don’t we fly over there to see where they are going and what they are? I mean, we can’t smell if they’re simply some vampires out hunting for blood or rogue vampires who want our blood to become unstoppable.”

My feet started pacing again as I thought about her suggestion. We could always fly over and check the situation out, that’s true but if they were vampires that knew about our existence…they would give chase and they would alert any other vampires.