Chapter 10

---Jacob’s POV---

My heart was still lying heavily in my chest, as if it had turned into solid lead at the past events. Sean hadn’t looked at me after he had revealed what I had walked into. Unbeknownst to me, Sean had figured out why he had this strange attraction to Paige.

Apparently, when Paige had shifted a few days ago, her body had emitted a scent, the same scent that I was following back to camp in an attempt to stop her and talk to her, make things right…. again.

Stupid, stupid, stupid fool! Where are your brains?

My wolf agreed with me and hasn’t spoken one friendly word with me. The only things he had said, were threats and snarls aimed at me but I had to point him to the fact that both of us were at fault. I had been suspicious and slightly shocked when I saw Paige in Sean’s arms but that had been intensified by my wolf’s possessiveness, an Alpha trait, which made me more territorial, jealous and gave me a shorter fuse as well.

“I never said you should accuse her to be a cheating bitch, like you put it so nicely!” He snarled as we neared the camp. I curled my lips as an answer, since he had taken over and shifted after Sean had ran back to the camp, leaving me behind to think about my actions.

Just before I was about to walk into camp, my wolf suddenly decided that I had to shift back and left me there in human form. I sighed deeply before I pushed through the last bushes, just to witness Paige flying off as her falcon. “Paige, WAIT!!”

She didn’t react but I did get another response to my startled shout. A mass of reddish brown fur shot at me before Nick snarled and scraped his claws over my chest. “You ASSHOLE! How dare you say that?! You keep doing this to my sister even though you promised her not to. She’s your mate for goodness sake!” He snarled as he kept lunging at me while I tried to dodge his attacks.

When I wanted to shift to my wolf form however, he simply laid down and took the brunt of the attack without resisting. My wolf shoved me to the back of my mind and forced me to see the world through his eyes.

Yes, he did snarl at Paige because he was angry that another male was near her and that she had chosen to embrace said male. But he wasn’t angry with her; he was scared. Scared that she could have been swooned by another male, that he had failed her.

Although we were werewolves, our inner wolves still had their natural animalistic instincts. In the wild, a male wolf had to protect his mate and stake his claim when other males were trying to get her attention. But still, he’d never force her to choose him. In the end, everything was based on the female wolf’s desire.

So, when Nick attacked us head on, he didn’t act on those urges that an Alpha male had; to defend his position and rank against another wolf in or out the pack. Because he knew that we made a grief mistake and he knew that whatever Nick could do to us was rightfully deserved.

I was stunned and humbled when my wolf showed me all this, effectively driving home what I was doing to both him and Paige. I didn’t even realize that Nick had relented as soon as I had turned on my back and offered my vulnerable stomach. My heart was heavy and my mind numb as I crawled back on my paws, ignoring the wounds that were telltale signs of our scuffle and made my way to mine and Paige’s tent.