Chapter 25

---Jacob's POV---

The plaintive noises combined with the nudge or two I received against my chest and chin woke me up from my sleepy daze. I sighed heavily and forced my eyes open, silently praying for them to find the strength to stay that way for a few more hours.

Jonathan let out another annoyed grunt, letting me know that my boy still was feeling fussy and annoyed, flailing with his fists and little feet to testify his grumpy mood. Honestly, these past few months of nursing the babes at night, I thought that would be the worst of it.

Yes, there were times where I wished I never ever thought of having kids, where I wanted to dive face-first in bed and only leave it after sleeping soundly for a day or two. Out of the three, Dante was the sweetest one; he only cried when he had a filthy diaper or when he was really hungry, otherwise you wouldn't hear a peep coming from the kid.

Honestly, I've spent a few hours at night standing next to the crib, just to make sure the kid was still breathing. He was that quiet. His siblings on the other hand...not so much. Jonathan took the lead with being the loudest and fussiest one of the bunch.

Unless Kenzie was sleeping...then the brothers didn't dare to make a sound, save for those little cooing sounds as they blabbered on in their little baby language. Nursing had been a bit of a task as well, with triplets and all. There were always a few bottles to the side for the one that still felt a bit hungry.

The microwave beeped loudly, jolting me out of my daydreams as I hushed Jonathan, softly bouncing him against my chest as I removed the bottle and tested it on the back of my hand. But when I went to place the nipple against his lips., he pulled back and started crying.

"Awe, come on buddy. Drink up." I tried to coo with my raspy 'not enough sleep' voice as I aimed the nipple at his lips but he kept pulling away and when I managed to get him attached on the bottle, he didn't drink at all.

"Ugh." The groan echoed through the silent kitchen as milk dribbled down Jonathan's lips, a clear sign he wasn't actually nursing like he should. Gently flicking the bottle side to side in his mouth, it quickly became clear that he wasn't interested at all.

"What's the matter? I've changed your diapers, walked with you for hours and I tried to feed you. What's wrong bud?" Off course he couldn't respond, save for the big tears that rolled down his cheeks. I sighed deeply and started pacing again, hoping beyond hope that he was just tired and fighting against the need to sleep.

"Please, please just fall asleep!" I thought hopefully before freezing in the kitchen as I heard footsteps staggering down the stairs. Slowly turning around, I let out a relieved sigh as Damon appeared with Hannah in his arms before he zombie walked past me.

"Hey."

"Hey."

I grabbed Hannah as Damon handed her to me before he went about preparing a bottle. Thankfully, Hannah's presence managed to distract Jonathan a bit, as he sniveled a bit before reaching out for Hannah's hair.

"No Jonathan, that hurts." And off course, as soon as I stopped his chubby hand for reaching out and plucking at Hannah's hair, the waterworks started again. But this time they made a lovely duet.

Oh for fuck sakes!

"Here, let me take him." I nearly jolted in surprise when John spoke up behind me before I sighed in relief when Damon took his daughter back while John relieved me of my son. "Thanks man, the little booger has been refusing to go to bed these past few days."

My eyes closed on their own accord as John chuckled and swayed Jonathan from side to side. A smile ghosted over my lips as I remembered the moment Paige woke up after labor. When she realized that it was already day and that she hadn't seen Nick's parents longer than any of the pack, she called them back up.