Chapter 17

---Paige’s POV---

The haze in my mind was slowly fading as muttered sentences and whispering voices were echoing in my head. All I could feel were my arms chained to the wall, my legs folded underneath me and a warmth coming from my lower abdomen before the whispers hushed after saying one clearly spoken sentence.

“They are coming…coming…..” it was a mixture of two boyish, young voices and I felt a small pang in my heart, as if I should recognize them but yet, I didn’t. Footsteps pounded through the hallway before the door in front of me opened and several Drained appeared, leading an anxious Lucius in the room.

He stared at my stomach and I blinked several times, growling at each Drained when they ventured too close for my comfort. It was strange though that they didn’t say anything. Instead all of them were silently staring at me before Lucius curled his lips in a sneer.

“What exactly did you see? What happened?” He snapped while turning to the Drained beside him. The creature swallowed compulsively and let his eyes roam between Lucius’ face and my stomach.

“Her stomach…the heartbeats there accelerated and there was a hue around it before disappearing.” He stated in short, jerky sentences while Lucius stared at him with a calculative look in his eyes. His silver eyes suddenly snapped towards me, their gaze enveloped in anger and suspicion.

“What did you do, huh? Use on of your gifts to warn somebody my pet?” I curled my lips up in distaste and pushed myself closer to the wall, my legs feeling oddly functional. Deciding not to pull their focus towards my movability, I replied, “My gift is healing. You might’ve remembered the time where you nearly drained me to death? And I’m not your pet!”

Lucius acted as if he was deep in thought before giving me a sick smile, his eyes darkening slightly. “Ah yes. Good times. Don’t worry, I won’t be draining you like that again. I’ll make sure that neither you nor your offspring will get close to dying. But that doesn’t mean I won’t be getting my regular feeding.”

He flashed his teeth at me before all the Drained moved away slowly, as if they were reluctant to get out of the room. My hands were slowly turning to fists as I noticed Lucius’ eyes gaining a red rim, meaning that his intentions were to feed from me.

My instincts flared as my legs pulled up, hiding my stomach from view. Him feeding from me was bad for my children and I wasn’t going to let anything happen to them. I felt energy flow through my veins, energy that clearly wasn’t my own while my stomach felt overheated.

Just when Lucius smirked and took the menacing first step towards me, I felt that all the sedatives in my bloodstream had burned up and I snarled, pulling at the chains holding me to the wall.

They shattered instantly and my anger flooded through me as my eyes fixed on Lucius. He had captured my parents, captured my friends and captured my mate! Above all, he wanted to use my family and my kids for his sick dreams.

My body started shifting on its own accord as my canines elongated rapidly, fur started sprouting and my limbs were shifting, growing longer and heavier by the second. Lucius’s shocked expression made way for anger as he lunged for me.