Chapter 6

---Sean’s POV---

I was still a little skeptic about Peyton’s presence but I pushed it away, telling myself that I would keep a close eye on her. Well, I should call her Fawna now, since that’s the name of her fox. My eyes darted to the small red fox that ran under the reddish brown wolf’s stomach before she sprinted away after Nick let out a laughing bark and darted after her, playfully catching her by her scruff.

“Sean?”

Cary’s voice forged its way through my musing and I looked back at him, sharing a look as I glanced back at the fox-shifter. Cary followed my gaze and frowned slightly before he glanced back at me.

“Stay on your toes. She might be truthful but that doesn’t mean that Lucius will let her go without a fight. If I’ve learned anything about him, is that he always has a back-up plan. Hell, he’s probably sent for his troops already.”

Cary nodded with an understanding look in his eyes while he hitched Lizzie higher up his back. His eyes started spying the woods as we made more progress; Peyton has shifted back and was now sitting on Nick’s back.

“Wait, wait, wait!” Both Lizzie and Beth nearly shouted, forcing everyone to hit the brakes and skid to a halt. Jacob stepped closer, with Paige bounding towards us with her ears pitched up. “What? What is it?” she asked with a twitch of her ear.

I looked at her for a moment before I let my eyes wander away. Damned pull, it was getting stronger, slowly but surely and I had no idea what it was. My eyes switched from Jacob back to Paige, who yipped and jumped up and down before she bolted away, the rest of her pack close to her heals.

Cian laughed and slapped his hand on my back. “Lost in thought Sean? Our Beloveds said that they picked up the trail. It’s really weak but it’s there.” I nodded, still in thought as I ran behind my only two friends.

“Hey, what does that make us? Little pups on the side?” Paige yipped, jolting me out of my daydreams so that I could avoid the tree that I nearly slammed into. “Need glasses old man?” Paige teased as she jumped up and, in a whirl of fur and feathers, shifted in her barn owl.

The owl flew up before it landed on my shoulder, twisting its head to look at me with large golden eyes. I looked up at it and chuckled, despite of my inner turmoil. “Not many people can call me old and life to tell the tale.” I smirked and Paige tilted her head slightly, fluffing the feathers in her neck up.

Finally, she closed her eyes and opened her beak in what I could only describe as an owl smile. “That’s what friends are for…” she chirped before I felt her talons give a slight pinch and then she flew off.

I kept my eyes on the golden owl, who flew towards Beth and flapped her wings a few times as they had a small conversation. My eyes drifted to my companions while understanding slowly found its way in my mind.

Paige meant herself, her pack…the people I helped to rescue her. All of them had been friendly towards me, something that I hadn’t come across in a long, long time. Most of the people I met were other vampires, neutral or hostile, and the humans who ran the other way when I appeared.