Chapter 11

---Paige’s POV---

“Where did I learn the form of a flipping parrot?” I wondered out loud, well, at least in my mind and Luke managed a choked laugh as he shook his head. I dropped the bag slowly and landed on silver/black talons, the paws framed with orange red feathers.

“You’re not a parrot Paige.” Luke managed to choke out as I stretched my wings and craned my head to have a look at them. They too were red, inconspicuously blending in with hints of yellow and orange towards my body, a bright red at the feather tips.

I flapped them a few times and widened my eyes when the air shimmered slightly, like the reflection above the road on a hot summer’s day. What the…

“What am I? How can I learn a form without knowing it or the animal I’ve become?”

People were gathering around, including the hunters with Daniel up front. He was staring at me, wide-eyed and mouth gaping like all of his men. I faintly heard Luke discussing something with Alpha Jackson, frowning and shaking his head as he looked at my form before Jackson stepped forwards.

“I think I have an explanation for this, if I may?” He asked, to which I nodded slowly. Jackson slowly walked around me, stepping over extremely long tail feathers as he took my form in. “You see Paige, what happened now isn’t uncommon for your...condition.” He stated while he tensed slightly, deliberately stopping himself from saying what he wanted.

When Luke shot him and then Daniel a look, I realized what he meant and reached out with my mind to talk to him, knowing that the hunters couldn’t hear us then. “So, this is part of being pregnant? And what am I?” I fired question after question until Jackson and Luke laughed and shook their heads.

“First of all, you’re a Phoenix; how you learned that form was through seeing it recently and through your pregnancy.” I nodded slowly while thinking back to where I had passed Alexis’ room and watched the Phoenix from that movie. At least I looked better than that one.

“Why does me being pregnant have anything do to with it?” I asked, slowly processing the information. Jackson shuffled on his feet before he sighed and turned towards the hunters. “If you’ll excuse us but we need to have a conversation in private without you guys hovering around us. I know you said we can trust you but until we have proof of that….” Jackson trailed off, having raised his hand mid speech to silence Daniel when he wanted to protest.

Daniel sighed but nodded his head with understanding in his eyes, mixed with a bit of regret before he turned and walked away, motioning towards his men to follow him. They did, but couldn’t stop themselves from shooting the occasional glance over their shoulders at me.

When they were a fair distance away, Jackson turned back around and sighed. “Look, I think its save to say that you’ll have more then one child and one of them has the Pure Shifter gene. It’s because of the fact that you carry one or more shifter/werewolf pups in you that caused this.”

My eyes widened even more before the shock forced me to shift back, leaving me with a reddish cloth over my limbs. “I…How….what do…you mean?” Jackson sighed again and dropped himself to the ground, patting the floor to indicate that I better sit down for this one. I slowly followed his example while Luke and Isabella walked towards us.