56

There was nothing Logan hated more than loitering the streets at night; it was too dangerous for a man of his status. Not that anything would happen to him, because he had Thuso by his side. The guy would literally take a bullet for him. He was married, with a kid, and instead of spending time with them, he was out here in the cold with Logan, to rescue a wild teenage girl.

The call Logan had received while he was at the restaurant with Jorge, was from a bartender from one of Thuso's clubs. The person named Max told Logan that Shannon was wasted, and she was busy dancing on the tables. He asked Logan to come and get her before she does something stupid.

When Thuso and Logan arrived at the club, there was no parking spot; even Thuso’s reserved space was taken, so while Thuso was still looking for a parking spot, Logan went into the club on his own.

At the entrance of the club stood two big guys, guarding the door and checking ID’s of every person that entered the club. They knew Logan, so he did not even need to produce an ID; they just let him pass without questions.

The moment Logan stepped inside; it was as if he had been pulled into a new world. Music was blaring through large speakers, and the air was a mixture of smoke, alcohol, and sweat. Lights of different colours lit up the place - red, blue, green, and white. Every single table was filled and the bar was also packed by people doing shots while others were dancing.

Logan felt really out of place. The only time he had been here, was when the club opened, but since then, he had never set foot again until now. As he made his way through the club, searching for a familiar face, girls were throwing themselves at him while the guys gave him intimidating looks. He ignored all those advances and went to the bar.

“Hey, Max!” He shouted over the loud music, and the barman spotted him and walked around the bar to where he was.

"Good evening, Mr Parker." Max greeted, and Logan shook his hand.

“Good evening, Max. Business is booming tonight.” Logan said and looked around him.

“Must be our Freedom Day special.” Max said proudly, and Logan nodded. “Uhm…I’m sure you are here for the young Miss Botha.” Max said, and Logan nodded again. “I’ll take you to her. This way.” He said and walked away with Logan hot on his tail. They curved their way through the crowd until they got to a place where there were pool tables.

If Logan thought the place was packed, now he was sure. The tables were surrounded and the place was loud as cheers went up, and Logan did not need to ask why. On top of the other table was Shannon who was dancing. She was not doing anything crazy, but she was surely drunk, because if she were sober, then she would not be dancing on top of the tables.

Logan stood at a safe distance where he could see her. "I'll leave you to it, Mr Parker." Max said.

“Thanks, Max. I’ll take it from here.” Logan gave a firm nod, and Max left. Logan checked the time, it was still 9 p.m., there was still time. He sighed and stood against the wall, and then he crossed his arms and watched the crazy girl dancing.

She seemed to be having fun and when she spotted Logan, she gave him a drunken smile and continued dancing. Thirty minutes passed, and Shannon was starting to get out of control. The people in the audience were serving her drinks while she danced, and soon, her steps became unsteady. Logan pushed the people aside and pulled her, but she resisted. “Come on, Shan, that’s enough!” He shouted.

The people started to boo him. One guy even attempted to pull him away, but when Logan turned to look at him, he retrieved his hand and took a cautious step back. Shannon jumped off the pool table, almost falling, but Logan caught her and steadied her on her feet, and then they made their way through the crowd. That is where the problem was because while Logan tried to get Shannon out, she was trying to get him to dance. Thuso noticed his struggle and he came to assist by lifting Shannon over his shoulder like a bag of potatoes while she screamed like the crazy girl she was.