29 ||

"Wow, we nailed it. Seriously though, Anita, you have to admit that we make a great team." Jorge Billings beamed as they entered the building together, chatting and laughing.

"We do, don't we?" Anita admitted, a warm smile on her face. She and Jorge were working outside the office and they had a business proposal for one of the biggest businesses in London, and surprisingly, they worked well together.

They were walking past the reception when Jorge spotted Meryl scowling at them from the corner of his eye. He knew he was to blame for her behaviour, but they could not continue working like this. If only he knew how she felt at the moment about being in the same building as him. Maybe it was a good thing that she happened to be here at this time of the night.

"Hold on." Jorge said to Anita who fiddled with the pearls around the collar. She nodded, and he walked towards the reception desk. Meryl was so engrossed in her thoughts that she did not see him coming. "Hi, Meryl." He greeted, but she remained silent. "What are you still doing here at this time? It is past seven at night." He said and took a quick glance at his watch.

"Waiting for my lift." Meryl muttered under her breath while staring at her phone. She quickly looked up and pointed at Anita with her pen, and then she went back to her phone.

Jorge nodded in understanding and slipped his hands into his pants pockets. Why was it so hard to apologise to her? "Is there a problem here?" He asked before he could stop himself.

She snapped her head in his direction and met his eyes, a scowl growing back to her face when she realised that he was still standing there and was speaking to her. "No, Sir." She answered sassily.

"Good. Now, wipe that scowl off your face and get the hell back to work." He ordered sternly.

Meryl simply scoffed and placed her phone away. "I work for Miss Billings, not you, and she's the reason I decided to stay here after... after what you did." Her voice quivered when she said the last words.

His face grew hard at her words. "Miss Anderson." Meryl looked up and tensed when she met his glare. "If you value your job at all, you will do your work." He said sternly. "I don't care about what happened between us in the past, we had sex and it was great, but it is over now." He said coldly, his face as hard as solid, and Meryl suppressed her tears. "It is not my fault that you caught feelings, and that I don't share the same feelings. I know I messed up a great deal; not only did I use you once, but twice, and I am sorry." Jorge said, his face growing softer. "I am sorry, but I am only human and I can't change the things I did or the way I feel. I have a girlfriend, Meryl, and I love her. I'm sorry things turned out this way between us, but I hope you can forgive me one day. For now, I just want to maintain a good working relationship between us for the sake of the company. Do you think you can do that?" He asked softly.

Meryl nodded and blinked away her tears. "Of course." She said and took in a shaky breath, and tried to pick up her glasses, but her hands were shaking and she ended up dropping them on the floor. She bent down and searched for them nervously.

Jorge could not stand seeing her so vulnerable. He swallowed the lump that grew in his throat and hurried off to the elevator before she could reappear from under her desk.

"Is everything okay?" Anita asked worriedly as she watched his façade crumble down.

"Yes, nothing to worry about, just...just go home and rest. You will need it for the business trip to Ireland tomorrow." He said with a small smile. Jorge loved business trips, but he did not look so enthusiastic about this one. She knew that business trips meant fun and trouble for him - sleeping around and snatching other people's girlfriends, but the whole issue with Meryl was holding him back. Either that or he was serious about settling down. Whatever the reason, Anita knew that Jorge Billings would never be the same man again.

"Yup, I am looking forward to it." Anita said with a small smile, Jorge nodded at her before he pressed the last floor on the elevator.

The doors opened and he gave Anita a sad smile. "Goodnight, Anita." He said and entered.

"Goodnight, Jorge." Anita said as the doors closed. She sighed and walked to Meryl's desk where Meryl had only just resurfaced with her glasses in her hands. "Are you okay?'' She asked Meryl, giving her a sad smile, and Meryl just stared at the closed elevator.

Anita did not hear much of their conversation, but she had concluded that they had cleared things. After seeing Jorge's face after their talk, they had to have made up. Apparently, Jorge Billings was not entirely the douchebag she thought he was.

People had the belief that because he was MJ Billings', the cold and uptight, heartless CEO's brother, he was just as bad as she was. But in reality, Jorge was a thin ice - easy to melt. He had the looks that they talked about in romance novels and he had the reputation - womanising, but if you took a closer look at him, it was a different story. He was a very fair and funny man who always making silly comments and jokes. Overall, he was loving and caring - a kind man with faults.

"Yes." Meryl said with a shaky breath. "I'm okay." She nodded, and Anita sighed in relief. Hopefully Meryl would change her mind about leaving.