44

The next morning, MJ woke up at five and got ready for her jog. It was her routine back in London to go for a run every morning at five, but she strayed a little when she got to Cape Town.

She wore navy blue tracksuits and navy blue trainers, and she had a water bottle, her phone and earphones in her hands.

She left the apartment building and ran in the same direction as she took the previous day, as if jogging to work.

She and Jameson had had a great time. They spoke about the old school days and Jameson told her who got knocked up, who dropped out, and who broke up. MJ did not even remember half the people he spoke about, but she listened anyway. Jameson was a gossip mogul, but that was partly why MJ liked him; he knew things and he knew people. MJ reckoned that he would come in handy in keeping Logan Parker from finding out the truth.

She had a great weekend. It started bad with the whole Logan-Carmen issue and her anxiety attack, but the rest of it was worthy; she met Shannon and she would be lying if she said she did not like the girl. Shannon was trouble, which she had proven in many cases, but she was giving MJ a purpose; reminding her how it is like being home.

The taxi ride. It was a good thing that MJ took her pills before they left, because it helped her stay calm; it was a difficult journey, but it was also good to get out of the house and see the real world where people hustle for survival.

Chad’s arrival was like a cherry on a cake; she had not seen him since the night he disappeared when Logan’s limo came. MJ wished she could get him out of the streets sooner, but where would she take him? He needed someone to take care of him all the time, and unfortunately, she was not the right person for the job; she had a company to run. She enjoyed having him around. Watching him and Shannon play games, chat, and laugh last night was a good ending of the weekend.

However, it was time to get back to reality; Parker’s Enterprises and all its demons. She was going to have to face Logan and his baby mama again, and she had no reason whatsoever to look forward to it. Carmen was like a game changer; she was like the bulldog on Tom and Jerry, and now both Logan and MJ would have to play it safe.

She was pregnant with his child, maybe about three months long. She was showing, but her stomach was not that big, still; it was hard to miss. MJ wondered if she had missed something the other night when Logan was taking Carmen out for dinner; now that she had seen her stomach and the image was planted in her head, it was easier to imagine that she looked the same the other night.

MJ was so caught in her thoughts that she was just running as far as her legs could take her. She was not even listening to the music playing on her phone, or watching where she was running to, until she turned at a corner and collided with a hard wall. She was sure that she was going to fall, but luckily, strong arms saved her from falling.

She was about to apologise to the person when she caught his voice. “I’m starting to think that you are running into me on purpose.” Her head shot up, and she found Logan smirking at her.

“Oh, it’s you.” Was all MJ could say before she did a double over on him; he was wearing black Adidas track pants and a white vest, and he had a towel around his neck while he held each end of the towel, exposing his muscles.

“Are you checking me out?” He smirked and tilted his head to one side, but MJ rolled her eyes while drinking her water. “Come on, I know I’m hot.” He smirked.

“I didn’t say you weren’t hot.” She shrugged and took another gulp of the cold water.

“Ha! So you admit that I am hot.” Logan crossed his arms and smiled cockily.