05 || Rooftops

MJ Billings did not want to find herself in the company of the woman who made her life a living hell. After what happened at the restaurant, all she wanted to do was to shoot at something; it was a pity that she could not put a face to the man who had slurred at her.

She did not understand why some men had to be perverts. It was as if all they could muster was trampling all over women like dirt under their shoes. They refused to see a woman's worth; all they saw in a woman was a new set of bedding to cover their beds for the night. Just the thought of it made MJ hate the man even more.

Throughout the entire ride, her mind kept wandering off to the stranger. She wanted to know who he was so that the next time she saw him, she would smash the bottle on his stupid head.

Usually, she was good at containing her anger, but his resilience and Sonya Smith's threats pushed her hand. Sonya had been sending her threats during the entire dinner. If anyone noticed her tension, they did not show it because anyone would have been suspicious at the rate her phone kept beeping in her purse.

She needed to calm down, so as soon as Liam dropped her off, she walked down the street to a nearby fast-food shop and bought burgers and chips for the both of them, she for one, needed the food if she was going to survive another hour in Sonya Smith's presence.

After leaving the shop, she walked back to the apartment building and strode to Sonya's apartment. She stood outside the door for a while, debating on whether to go in and confront her worst enemy or not.

Finally deciding what is best for the both of them; she turned around and went to the rooftop to calm her rage. She sauntered around the rooftop, scanning all around it. It was not the best-looking rooftop, but it was still a rooftop despite its filthy surface and the huge cell where the caretaker, Mr Brown, kept his pigeons and doves, as well as the boxes that were scattered all over the place.

MJ sighed and walked over to the edge of the rooftop where she could peacefully watch the beauty of the city at night and enjoy the fresh air.

She placed the paper bag and her clutch on the small bench, and then she ran a hand through her neatly styled hair and shook it into more loose strands, relaxing a bit after the simple gesture.

She took out a small tissue from her clutch and tried to wipe the bench, but gave up on her attempts to get rid of the dust that covered the old bench and sat down. At this point, she did not mind if she got dirty, the view was worth it.

From where she sat, she could appreciate the beauty of Cape Town. She watched as lights of different colours illuminated the night like fallen stars. The range of the buildings was mesmerizing and relaxing, it gave her a peace of mind.

She did not get to do this often, she could not even remember the last time she went outside just to watch the stars and wish on them because she was always working and travelling. At least she had gotten the chance to see something that she could relate to stars -something better than stars- HOME.

MJ was born and bred in South Africa, in none other than the infamous Cape Town, but moved to London at the age of fifteen. The move made a drastic change in her life and cost her a lot.

MJ's train of thoughts was cut short when she heard shuffling sounds at the rooftop right where the boxes were. She turned around and watched as a small figure slumped down on one of the boxes. It was a homeless kid.

MJ took in a shaky breath and took slow, steady steps towards the intruder.

She reached the place, and as if the stranger could sense her, he looked up, and their eyes connected. There were no words muttered, but there was a mutual understanding. MJ walked back to where she was seated and took her clutch and the brown paper bag with food, and then walked back to where the boy laid. "What's your name?" She asked.