38

After Logan left MJ at the restaurant, MJ went back to the office and worked on the documents Logan had asked for, and highlighted in some points and edited them. There was only thirty minutes left of work, and she was almost done with the documents. Who could have thought she would actually follow one of his orders and really work for him? She shook her head and sighed.

The minutes flew by and it was home time. Logan knocked on MJ’s door and walked in, holding his jacket and briefcase in his left hand, and his phone and keys on his right. His shirt was hanging out, his tie loose, and his hair a mess. He looked tired.

“Hi.” He greeted and gave her a small smile. He did not know how to approach her after his behaviour earlier; if he wanted his plans to work, he would have to practice patience. He had to accept that May Smith could not and would not tell him the truth on the spot, thankfully, his behaviour did not jeopardise his plans, and May Smith was still here.

“Hi.” She greeted without even looking at him. “I’m almost done with this.” She said, typing on her laptop.

“It is home time.” Logan reminded her and walked towards her desk.

“I know, just a few minutes.” She gritted and continued typing as if he was not even there.

Logan sighed and walked around her desk. “This can wait.” He closed her laptop.

Anger coursed through her and she looked at the closed laptop as she tried to stay calm. She did not understand why, but her mood had darkened since they came back from the restaurant.

It would have been better if her therapist were around, that way she would not be struggling with calming her nerves. She was on a brink of a breakdown, and Logan Parker was not helping the situation; her therapist would have referred to this as a trigger. Logan was a trigger to her episodes, and in order to stay calm, one had to keep away from the trigger. But how was she going to do that within his building?

“Why the hell did you do that?” She asked as calmly as possible. “After all the work I put in.” She gritted, her face turning red from anger.

“It is not such a big deal; you can work on it this weekend, and besides, you are still going to recover that document, it has been automatically saved.” Logan said with no regret. “Meet me downstairs in five; the staff is hosting a welcome party for you.” He ordered and left her office.

MJ slammed her hand on the desk and growled in an unladylike way. She ran her hand through her hair, removing her hair-tie in the process, and closed her eyes. It took her a while to take in Logan’s words and as if controlled by an unnatural force; she grabbed her handbag and threw in her things, and then she stormed out of the office. Seconds later, she was in the ladies room, and was leaning against the wall, trying to catch her breath.

She felt like she was trapped in an airless balloon and she could not breathe. Every second that passed felt like the walls were closing in on her. Her sight was blurry and sweat was falling down her face in merciless rivulets. Shivers were roaming all over her body and she did not know whether it was getting hot or cold. She staggered towards the basins and balanced her body against it as she stared at herself on the mirror, and she did not recognise the person she was staring at.

The person who stared back at her was not her; they had the same hair, same eyes, same nose, same lips, and they were wearing the same clothes, but she was not her. The girl staring back at her was not MJ Billings; she was a little girl with dark secrets and fears. For a moment, it was like she was in a different place.

For a moment, she was back in the streets of London, trying to walk past a swarm of people.

For a moment, she was back at that orphanage, sitting alone at the corner with the other kids laughing at her. Calm down, MJ. You need to pull yourself together. June chided, and MJ wished it were as easy as it sounded.