Chapter 8: Nova

My eyes adjust to decide what to think of what I was seeing.  Luna, carrying an umbrella for no apparent reason, and Blink walking next to her.  His eyes were extremely wide for some reason and he was looking at Luna with fascination.  I nudge my glasses up just a tiny bit because they were a tiny bit too big.  

      Blink blinked, which may sound funny, but he blinked.  I can hear the scraping of Luna's feet on in her shoes.  Also can hear the scraping of the blade against the concrete ground.  Scrape, scrape.  It hurts more than it probably should have to hear it.  I turned my ears away so that it wouldn't be so bad.  You know, the cat ear thing.  Oh, never mind.  

     "Find anything?" Luna asks me and glances at me hopefully.  

     "Not a thing, Luna.  Not a thing," I replied and looked at her sadly.  She frowned and touched her face very slightly, and it sent chills down my spine.  It probably didn't affect Blink, but it affected me.  It was my super-sensitivity playing games with me again.  I sighed.  I knew Blink knew what I was thinking, but I didn't mind.  He understood.  Or at least I hoped he did.  

     "I can sense that his fear is nearly one hundred miles away," Luna said and sighed.  She was sad and that was rather clear, but I didn't want to push it.  I didn't know what to say about that.  

     She looked at Blink, who was concentrating quite a bit.  His eyes were closed, like he was thinking about it.  His lip started to twitch.  His eyes twitched too.  His eyes started to glow from  inside his eyelids and I took a step back.  

     Luna didn't.  She stood there, like it would help.  It might actually help and I'm just being a big baby concerned for no apparent reason.  

     Or I'm being the smart one and taking a step back.  Really could go either way, now couldn't it.  

     I imagine that Luna is simply curious as to what's going to happen.  Me, on the other hand, just wants to make it out of this little adventure alive.  Now wouldn't that be fun.  Living through all this.  Being perfectly considerate of that, my skin crawled slightly as I took yet another step back.  

     The light that had glown behind his eyelids faded and vanished and he opened his eyes again.  He looked around like he had just been somewhere else.  He could have been, in that mind of his.  

     Banshee comes trotting over like a loyal dog and sits by my feet.  He glances up at me.  I try not to think about the fact that he could crush me, if he wanted to.  I mean, he doesn't want to, but if he did, I doubt I'd even be standing here right now.  

     "Did I forget to mention that Banshee hates the term 'babysitter'?" I thought, just now considering it.  He glared at me, like living proof.  

     "We might of figured that out," Luna said sarcastically.  She looked in the shop at the poor detective.  His blood was in a massive puddle around his whole body.  His face was to the side, but I could easily feel a pang of sadness and guilt.  

     Blink wiped a tiny tear from his eye and glanced at Luna again with the same peculiar look as before.  He was questioning her with his eyes, but not so that anyone but her could understand.  

     "Blink, did you find anything?" Luna asked.  She looked at him hopefully.  A tear dropped from her cheek to the ground.  She glanced at the spot with a weird shock.  

     "Yes, I was able to hack my way to see from his eyes and I think I know where he is," he replied.  He smiled a sad smile.  Luna copied him with her expression.  

     "You know, I could help you more than any other freak could?"