Chapter 3: Blink

I heard Luna's slight gasp.  Her thoughts tried to rush over me, but I blocked them out.  I'm only supposed to look into people's dreams, I thought.  Though I could look into people's thoughts, I tried to avoid it.  They would just consider me more of a freak.  

     So when I said "Are you looking for the shop keeper?" I hadn't really expected much but to be called a freak, as I normally am.  

     But seeing Luna and her porcelain skin and seeing Nova with whiskers sticking out of her face, I realized that that wasn't as likely as usual.  And this was Luna.  And I look mostly normal except for my eyes, which can be seen as hundreds of different colors, depending on someone's power. 

     "Blink?" Luna asked.  She looked shocked.  Of course, I had been curious and bored and had been looking through some people's thoughts and dreams.  I had felt her grief, so powerful, that I had to know what was up.  

     And I have a tiny confession to make.  I've had a tiny crush on Luna since I was 9 years old.  She always seemed like she could overcome anything.  Hardly anyone made fun of her for her porcelain skin, and she was made completely out of porcelain.  That's hard to beat.  And all I have is a seeing ability and I get made fun of more than her.  I know that because I have a lot of classes with her.  

     And the thing is that I haven't told anyone about my crush.  So I guess you're the first one to hear.  Her paint-like red lips were puckered, which was definitely strange.  Of course, only the center was painted in a heart shape, so she was like a doll.  Of course, that made her even more stunning.  

     "Who is this boy?" demanded Detective Gray Hound.  His ears were sticking up through the holes cut through the top of his hat.  

     "His name is Blink," Luna replied in a whisper.  Her fingertips touched the wall like she would fall over.  He looked into my eyes and gasped.  I could see the color he saw.  A dark green, seeing impossible for some reason.  I've never met a dog man before, I thought and found it indeed rather interesting.  

     "I can look into people's dreams and thoughts," I said and smiled my most convincing smile.  I knew that Nova had super-sensitivity, so that might be the reason why Luna was speaking so quietly.  Especially with a dog man, who also probably had super-sensitivity.  

     "Indeed interesting.  My name is-"

     "Yes, I know that your name is Detective Gray Hound.  I do have one problem, though.  I can only tell the truth," I said and smiled.  I never spoke much so that I didn't have to say anything embarrassing.  I know that it is a strange weakness, and that it is only a weakness to those who have something to hide, but it is a little bit of a problem to me.  

      "Tell me a secret that you've never told anyone before," Nova said.  My eyes fly open.  Most of my secrets have been shared except for the one about Luna.  

     "I only have one, but must I share it?" I begged.  Nova looked into my eyes and nodded her head several times.  Her nose twitched and maybe she could smell my fear.  

     "Is that really necessary?" Luna demanded.  Relief let itself melt into my soul, but I wouldn't reveal that.  Not now.  

     "Well, now I'm just too curious, Luna," Nova replied.  She was in a cat-like crouch.  Her claws were scratching anxiously at the ground.  She looked at her claws, pretending to make sure that they were sharp enough.  

     "Fine," I sighed.  Luna looked sharply curious, but not so much that someone would notice if they didn't notice nearly every move she makes.  

     "Go on," Nova encouraged, which felt weirdly awful.     

     "I've had a crush on Luna since I was younger," I replied, so nervous, so scared that they would laugh at me.  

     But they just glanced at the wall behind me in shock.