Chapter 1

*Hikari Hada's POV:

"Hikari, is his back turned?" my friend Yasmine whispered to me and our friend Devon as we watched one of the shelter's cooks place a pan of tasty Mexican sweet buns on the table. We were hiding behind the corner, near an entrance into the kitchen in the back of the cafeteria.

"Yeah, but he's near the table. We can't do anything until he leaves. Do you guys want to take all of the sweet buns?" I asked mischievously as I looked back at my friends.

"You mean like: take the whole pan?!" Devon loudly whispered in happiness. Yasmine and I shushed him.

"Yes. There are twenty-four sweet buns on that pan. We each can have eight to ourselves" I replied, rubbing my hands together, thinking about how delicious those sweet buns are.

"And if we get caught?" Devon asked.

"Then we'll just have to just take that loss like grown adults," I said in confidence, placing my hands on my hips.

"But Hikari, we aren't adults. We're eleven and Devon is ten. We don't even look like adults, Yasmine timidly explained as she adjusted her dirty blonde curls.

"Yasmine, that doesn't mean we should be afraid of getting caught" I face-palmed myself in annoyance, then stared back at my biracial friend. "Once the guy leaves, I'll use my powers to bring the tray over towards us and zoom...we leave."

"What kind of sweet buns are they?" Devon asked.

"Mexican sweet buns, but they're known as "Conchas". Beval used to make them for me when I was younger," I replied, peeking again into the kitchen from the door. To my surprise, the chef wasn't there. "Alright buddies, this is our chance. We can take these sweet buns, stuff them in zip-lock bags, then we'll place them into our duffel bags," I said, watching the buns.

Our stuff was hidden in the garden section, away from sight. Everything was going according to plan: pack enough food, water, clothes to sneak out and leave this shelter for good. Just us three verses the outside world. Next stop, we were going to Los Angeles to join the circus.

I stood in front of the door. Slowly, I reached my arm outward, reaching towards the table. I concentrated as I used my telekinesis powers. The pan rose up, about a foot upward from the table and slowly made its way towards me.

"Come on, come on" I heard Devon whisper, clenching on to his long cornrows.

Slowly it came to me, the donut-flavored smell filled my nose and the steam rose from the buns. I licked my lips, concentrating on guiding the pan to me and grabbing it. Once it was in arm distance, I grabbed the pan with my other arm. It almost fell to the ground before I hugged it tightly, after I stopped using my power. I blew my breath in relief.

"You got it Kari?" Devon asked me.

"Yea, and they are bigger than I thought" I smiled, briefly making eye contact with him. Intensely, I stared down at the Mexican sweet buns that were laying on the large pan in my hands. Thankfully, the pan wasn't too hot. "Let's go, before we wake anyone up."

It was about 2:00 am, and everyone was asleep, a perfect time to sneak out and leave. We tiptoed passed the door and out towards the cafeteria. We reached the cafeteria's door and opened it slowly. I cringed as a slight creaking sound came from the door.

"Anyone around? I don't want to get caught like this," Yasmine whispered to me in fear, clenching on to Devon's shirt as they were right behind me. I looked both ways to make sure no one was around.

"Nobody's here, good, let's go-"

"Got'cha!"

I was interrupted by someone grabbing my arm right before we were about to run towards the garden's door. I tried with all of my might and balance to not spill the sweet buns as I turned my head to see who it was and...well, well, well.