Chapter 34

*Gaia Hernandez's POV*:

Dishes clanged together as I took the rinsed ones and placed it to the side to dry.

It was around 4pm, and I was preparing a big dinner. Tonight was a special night, everyone was coming over to our apartment in celebration of the World Leader's death.

The meal of the celebration was Virgin Islander Fish and fungi with Mexican rice on the side. Cultural foods came together as one, just as me and Beval did two years ago, but we weren't the only ones, so did Danny and Isabella, a few months before us.

Life was simple, but it wasn't easy. For three years we worked hard to catch up to societal standards of what people our age should be doing.

We moved back to San Francisco. Me, Beval, Katie and Celosia obtained our GED since we couldn't finish high school and get our diploma because of our unfortunate circumstances. We even learned how to drive, thanks to Danny. We obtained our first credit cards and my dad was the one who taught us about budgeting and finance.

Katie was a student at University of San Francisco for Nursing. She was so patient and intelligent, she would've been a great Nurse. Beval was a student at the same school, but majoring in Finance, that guy loved math but didn't want to become a teacher.

I was also a student at that school but instead of Nursing, I majored in my dream: Performing Arts with a concentration in dance. My dream was to open up a dance studio to teach women and girls ballet, modern dance, Hip-Hop, West African dances and more. I still loved to sing and write songs.

Celosia on the other hand was focused on something else entirely, for three years her dream was to take down John Victran, and she finally did it. After planning every encounter with him, she finally got him.

We all eventually found jobs after obtaining our GED.

Thanks to my parents and their connections, me and Katie obtained a job as Nursing Assistants for they knew someone who was a supporter of experi-babies and would hire us. We didn't have to wear contacts, or hide our powers. It was freeing to not have to hide ourselves, but we did get many dirty looks from other coworkers both Nurses and fellow Nursing Assistants, and even some patients refuse to have an experi-baby taking care of them. It was decent money, we could live off of it but not flourish.

Beval was the head chef at El Sabroso: the Mexican restaurant his family opened back up. This time it was opened in downtown San Francisco. It was hard as they had to market their place all over again but when people (mostly experi-baby supporters) found out they reopened, they swarmed over and business resumed as if nothing ever happened.

Humming a tune from a Disney movie I recently saw, I preheated the oven to 360 degrees. Chopping up bell peppers, I lifted my head and wiped my forehead of sweat. My eyes gazed from the table to up at a picture on the wall.

There, was a selfie of me, Celosia and Kimberly, smiling. It was taken in Shimizu's shelter, three years ago.

Suddenly, my mind went to that terrible night when we escaped that prison, the night I tried for the hardest to not think about. For a long time I didn't like Kimberly, well to be honest, I detested her. But it wasn't until we found Shimizu and we spent more time together that I began to warm up to her, as she did with me, and eventually, we were best friends, but unfortunately, it was cut brief, for she was killed by a missile landing near, but not before saving Celosia's life.

Since then, Celosia was never the same, but she still remained focused on taking down the World Leader, but there's never a day where Kimberly isn't on our minds. For the rest of our lives we will cherish her as someone who was once our friend.